ryan_d_sucks

Jumping and Parents

it freaked my mom out at first. i rode dirt bikes for a couple years and broke quite a few bones so my mom knows how i am. when i started skydiving i took her out to watch me jump and ever since then she's been fine. i'm sure she doesn't like it but she knows that these type of things give me goals and make me happy. i think since i've been doing this for over a year and haven't gotten hurt yet she's been happy. i've had up to 3 broken bones riding all in one year at different times

i am also an only child, and when i made my first reservation for a tandem jump, my mother was not able to sleep for like a week be for i went, and of couse my grandmother (i live with my grandmother, and mother), sits and watches the news every damn day, and sees that skydive relative things are happening on the news , crashes, tandem accidents,etc.etc, so shes on my back now, saying im crazy, and why cant i just be a normal 20 year old and hang with friends, so it is very frustrating , i have done 3 tandems so far, and every one they get nervous about, and i will be starting AFF in the spring time, and even now my mom is worried about me doing that!

Young adults are so new at being adults that it doesn't dawn on them that - as long as they grow up and move out of mommy & daddy's house - they don't need their families' validation for anything and they don't have to tell their families a damned thing about what they do.

Parents are scared for their kids' safety. That's just the way it is. Skydiving carries with it an appreciable risk of death. That's just the way it is. 8 out of 10 younger skydivers would be far better off if they just told their parents nothing about their skydiving. Worked for me. Anything else is just setting yourself up for emotional failure.

I get sick of hearing the whining from younger jumpers about their scared, disapproving parents. Cut the apron strings, shut up, and jump.