rane

AFF 1

I did a tandem, it freaking rocked, so the next weekend I did level 1 of the AFF. During the AFF jump I did not snap into the arch right away (there was some aparent swimming motions involved and some really stupid looks on my face) and I was having a hard time concentrating on my arch and alti once I did get stable. I had to get the "fist" twice and a slap on the alti before I realized that I was lower that 5.5k and I finally reached and pulled my main. I landed right in the center of the dz (no problem there) but on my azz because I did not flare until I was like 5 ft above the ground. No bruises other than the ego. All together not even close to perfect. I feel like a goof and I am angry at myself after all the ground school and excellent training I recieved. I am supposed to jump next weekend for level 2-4 but I am having a lot self doubt after I sucked it up on my first. I feel like I let down the instructors and myself with those errors. Some of you have 1000's of jumps and some have a only a few. What do you think? Am I stupid for being pissed at myself? How do you center yourself before you jump to ensure you do all the little things you need to on your first few jumps?

Sounds like you did fine!

Just relax and remember, we are doing this to have fun, not to be hard on ourselves.

Listen to your instructors and WELCOME to the sky!

No bruises other than the ego.

That might be the definition of a PERFECT skydive!
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

How do you center yourself before you jump to ensure you do all the little things you need to on your first few jumps?

I go up knowing that I now know more than I did on the last jump. It's important to learn from every single jump and work of of the mistakes to improve. You know what you did wrong...now do those things right. And if another mistake is made, you will know what you did wrong and will be able to fix it again. Simple process.

Making mistakes is hard to take positively sometimes, but there is no reason to be too hard on yourself.

Breath...

Cheers,
Travis

Thanks for the advice, it was heard and understood.

I have been reading through this forum and it sounds like almost everyone goes through similar expierences. No doubt, I am going to go again next weekend.
I hope in 100 dives I am still this stoked when I think about my NEXT dive!

Ha-dude you did fine! Try to drill your routine on the ground while your waiting - a lot (I did this over and over and over and over - I still do it for my coach jumps! -it helps me) and enjoy-heck you did pull your own rip cord! You let no one down - not even yourself- you jumped out of an airplane - you rock! Keep on it and you will be laughing about your first couple of nerfed AFF's in no time.

Enjoy,
dm.