1 1
robertmicp

Further training

I will finish my A lic this week (weather permitting). I want to learn more on body fight and canopy control. I see there are a few places (SkyDiveU, Skydive AZ, ect). I dont mind the travel (Im in CA), but I want the most for my time and money. Who out there has gone to one of the "one-on-one" coach courses? Did you get what you were looking for?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

"Back in the day" Skydive U was the most comprehensive, and IMHO "worthwhile" ONE-ON-ONE RW learning/progression method/programme available. For JUST RW considerations, it probably still is. However, it will give you nothing (as far as I currently know ...keep in mind I went through Skydive U over 7years ago) in respect to canopy control & canopy flight considerations, etc.

For those "just off student status", the basic USPA coaching sylabus is probably the most "well rounded", and will give you most of the BASICS. Then, once you decide which primary direction you would like to pursue, would probably be the determining criterion to dictate what/which would be the best more concentrated course(s) you would like to take.

Just another .02,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

If you want the training I recomend Perris. They have the wind tunnel, coaches, and canopy classes and it is not a long trip.

To be honest, I was at the Perris tunnel about 4 weeks ago. Had a great time and learned a lot. I had called a week prior to my arrival to set up some coach jumps while I was there. I was told "no problem, we will care of it when you get here". Well, not to slam anyone, I went over to the school after my tunnel time, was told I would have to wait 3 hours for a coach and that I would not be able to jump until a coach jumped with me (I am working on my A lic, but on solo status). I walked around and talked to a few guys (who were coaches at Perris), they were not doing anything. I went back to the school and asked again if they were sure it would be 3 hours till I could jump with a coach, they said all the coaches were booked up and jumping. I left and caught a early flight home.

Just relating my experance at Perris.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

As you mentioned, Skydive U is a badass program, there are SDU coaches everywhere and you probably wouldn't have to travel much to get coaching. You don't have to go to a SDU Campus to get coaching.

On the flip side, there are plenty of really badass coaches that aren't SDU coaches as well, especially at the big DZs in California.

A tunnel camp is a good choice as well (if you have the money), Airspeed and others put on really good camps.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I walked around and talked to a few guys (who were coaches at Perris), they were not doing anything. I went back to the school and asked again if they were sure it would be 3 hours till I could jump with a coach, they said all the coaches were booked up and jumping.

I did my AFF and A license progression at Perris. That never happened to me. A couple time, I had to wait a couple of hours (heavy tandem/AFF days), but always got on, and never saw any of the PVSS instructors being sitting around while I was waiting to go up. Are you sure they were with the Perris Valley Skydiving School (there are 2 schools at the DZ)? Once again, very surprised that happened. I'd love to get more info about that (via PM?), as I would think it's some kind of mis-understanding. Just curious...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."