lintern

Should you wait between cut-away and reserve ?

People using the hand-on-each method have accidentally fired the reserve when they had a hard cutaway ***

I have to agree with what you just said,
but --- people using both hands for each handle have gotten the main lift web, or nothing at all when it comes to the silver. so each has possible drawbacks.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Waiting can kill you. Not deploying stable could kill you but is less likely. Deploying imediatly after a breakaway is usually your earliest opportunity to safely deploy your reserve into the relative wind properly.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

as far as worrying about how hard a reserve would open at terminal speeds... you must simply forget about that! here is the "total"scenario: you pull your main and nothing comes out, or the pud is stuck, ( or you can't even find the pud) ... at this moment you are at terminal velocity and you must pull the reserve! i mean... you have nothing else to do! who cares about about getting "banged-up" by a hard opening reserve... what is your choice? PULL! and here is the "partial" scenario: you pull your main and a bunch of crap comes out... at this moment you may be at freefall speed... or faster ( the main pilot chute can put you in a standing position and you may end up going even faster than when you were flying flat) or slower if there is more drag ( more nylon in the air ) .... so you chop the crap first and there you are: back in freefall with nothing but the reserve to save your ass. PULL ! at this moment your altitude awareness is long gone... stability is questionable... JUST PULL! my guess is that anytime you are in midair, and find yourself looking at your reserve handle, the "fun-jump" is OVER! pull that reserve without hesitation, and be gratefull for what you get... even if it "bangs you up good" ! to live long and prosper, you must first pull ! .... did i mention PULL ?

I'll jump in here since i had an interesting mal last weekend.

I threw out my PC and waited for the usual slowing I usually feel...nothing. I looked over my shoulder and could see my PC inflated and as I did so I rolled a little left just in case the bag was caught in my burble. Still nothing.

Because I saw my PC inflated I pulled my cutaway and then reserve handles. I don't really remember giving it much though except saying to myself something is wrong and I want it off of me. I'd like to think that if I had seen nothing I would have gone straight for my reserve but I don't know because it was REALLY fast. Realize this was all within a few short seconds as I was still at terminal. My reserve opened beautifully and more on heading than my Sabre2. I only have one bruise to show for my ride and that was frin the harness slipping a little on my arm.

I think the biggest thing you need to remember is to:
PULL
PULL at the ASSIGNED ALTITUDE
PULL STABLE
That way you have less chance of having a mal and more time generally to deal with it. Note that a high speed total you only have about 6-8 seconds in which to make a choice. Do something.

One point to note on my reserve is the size. I weight about 140-145 out the door with everything. My reserve is a PD 126R while my main is a 135. Not that much of a difference and neither are overloaded.

Maybe one of you guys can add to the wing loading factors on a reserve as I know wing loading ratio has lots to do with the opening characteristics of any canopy but can't explain it.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.