autoset

What does "step-through" mean? ----> packing related

There's a video of a malfunction with line twists on skydiving movies, the guy gave his rig to a friend to pack the parachute for him, then both make a jump and when they deploy and the guy is able to get out of the twists he shouts to his friend in the air "You packed me a step-through!!"

what does it mean?

Picture you wearing the rig with the canopy on the ground in front of you. Now jump over the canopy so it's on the ground behind you, turn to face the canopy and pick it up. Usually happens with a head over heels landing or picking the canopy up wrong by stepping over a line group in the wrong direction.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Usually happens with a head over heels landing or picking the canopy up wrong by stepping over a line group in the wrong direction.

Or when the canopy lands on you after landing and some of the lines are on each side of you... Then you take a step forward or backwards over the lines... If the lines ever land on you after landing, don't pick up your feet because the second you do your lines will be on the wrong side of the harness.

I just figured out exactly what this was this weekend. You can always prevent packing one by always laying down the rig with the container open and facing up. Flip the shoulders of the harness under so that you can reach the beginning of the risers. Start at the rings and ensure the rear riser is on top and NOT twisted and run the front and rear lines all the way up to the canopy. Set your brakes and they run the lines up again ensuring this time you are pulling the brake line from the front and rears by putting them between different fingers as you run them up.

Always start from the beginning of the risers.

I just figured out exactly what this was this weekend. You can always prevent packing one by always laying down the rig with the container open and facing up. Flip the shoulders of the harness under so that you can reach the beginning of the risers. Start at the rings and ensure the rear riser is on top and NOT twisted and run the front and rear lines all the way up to the canopy. Set your brakes and they run the lines up again ensuring this time you are pulling the brake line from the front and rears by putting them between different fingers as you run them up.

Tell me you were a bad boy and didn't do that check all the time you packed!? hehe

Always start from the beginning of the risers.

Nah, I was not a bad boy.

For some reason the visualization of what the mal would look like in flight and on the ground and how I could create it came to me - just a matter of being able to see something in your head and it clicking. I have always run my lines up starting with check ot the risers.

Try to picture a skydiver doing a front-loop through their lines immediately after landing.
If they loop through the middle of the lines, it is annoying, but still flyable.
The hassle is when a skydiver only steps through one line, then that line spirals around all the other lines, trying to choke them off, trying to spin the canopy, etc.

That is an even better way to picture it! As if you were standing in place and did a front (or back) flip and packed it as is. I never thought of steping over just one line - just shows how important it is to properly run the risers and lines up.

I suppose you could get the same mal if you front or back flipped your D Back after you had packed your main in it.....