sraja

Neck Pain

So I made 5 jumps over two days this weekend. Nothing fancy, just belly flying and tracking. I had one really hard opening but besides that I had normal standup landings and uneventful jumps. But this morning I have a bothersome neck pain. I wouldn't claim that it hurts but it bothers me (kinda like a neck sprain) when I turn my neck in certain directions. Is this normal? Do others also experience it after making several skydives? I have noticed this on other days when I am jumping as well. Any insight would be appreciated

I'm putting my money on the hard opening causing your neck pain. I've had friends that have actually had whiplash from a hard opening.

Be nice to yourself.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I'm putting my money on the hard opening causing your neck pain. I've had friends that have actually had whiplash from a hard opening.

Be nice to yourself.

Yeah talk to skybytch she cant jump because here neck is sooo messed up.
And yes I have had a sore neck from hard a opening...

Hey Sraja,

I DID get whiplash cos of a hard opening! I was walking around like quasimodo for nearly 2 weeks!! This happened 3 weeks ago and its still bothering me - i jumped at the weekend like which didnt help matters but its getting there!

I was going to post a question regarding it - do many jumpers end up with serious neck problems at all?
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

I was going to post a question regarding it - do many jumpers end up with serious neck problems at all?

Go see your Dr. and get some x-rays. Seriously. It may be nothing but it may be something.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

If it sticks around, seeing a doctor is advised. As Reggie said, could be nothing, could be something.

Also, in general, I don't think people stretch enough before jumping, and not just the neck/back. Stretching goes a long way in making sure a full weekend of jumping, opening, landing, and packing doesn't get the better of you Monday morning. That, and if you have a landing you have to run out or fall down on, or an opening that's harder than usual, you can help prevent some types of injuries.

Thanks everyone for their inputs. Now - does anyone know of any exercises to strengthen neck muscles? I am doing the neck rotations but not sure they do anything more than stretch the muscles. Thanks in advance