tombuch

NPRM FAA To Extend Repack Cycle

The FAA has issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making that will extend the repack cycle from 120 days to 180 days. I haven't had a chance to carefully review the rule yet, but it looks like what skydivers have been asking for. The proposed rule and request for public comment was pubilshed in the federal Register today, and is available at: http://frwebgate2.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=838649250119+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Why should prices increase? The repack should be based on the amount of work for each repack right. If the inspection and repack procedures remain to be consistent with current practices why should they be paid more? They are still performing the same service with the same amount of labor. I thought that's what the price was for....the labor. Maybe I'm wrong.:S

But yes, I do understand that it's their livelyhood and I am sure that prices will increase...just playing devils advo.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.

In rigging like any business the overhead needs to be figured into the pricing. They have fixed costs that need to be covered not just the labor to re-pack your rig.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

There are two threads in Gear and Rigging here and here on those topics. Let's keep those going.

Looking at the time of the respective posts, I realize that this conversation was posted first, but it is simply easier for me to handle this moderation effort by locking this one and leaving the other two. Previous conversations on the subject of the extended repack cycle have predominantly been in G&R, and I think the topic is a better fit for that forum anyway.

Thanks.
Arrive Safely

John