grlsgotalot2lrn

beam me up scottie(long)

Would like to describe my level 1 and get any and all possilble feedback:

mental state - nervous but since three weeks has passed since ground school. have gone over and over dive flow, felt confident and ready to get tandem jm off my back.

plane ride - questioning sanity began, tried to relax, began to wonder if my mouth could possibly get any drier:S!

exit - reached to hold bar, promptly removed by jm. Good hotel check and exit. said prop up down arch, but failed to look at prop or even think about the prop.

freefall - felt small shake,responded while thinking "ok that means arch, but wait i thought i was arching. Am i not arching?? Are we falling? Yes dummy you knew you were going to be falling, now do what you are supposed to! COA time - read and communicate. Ok 1 - that really means 13000', now look to left and tell him. I'm looking. . . but why isn't his head right here next to me? Oh well just keep going. Brain, how come mouth isn't listening to you? look to right and tell her. Wait her head isn't right here resting on my shoulder either!?! And brain, is mouth still not doing what you told it to do? Brain just forget about mouth and tell arm to do prcp's". Brain tells body arch reach pull! ok again! Brain and body decide two prcp's were enough. Just kept watching alt, and at 5700 i wave off and pull.

Canopy - As canopy is opening my brain and body get in an argument about who was supposed to communicate altitude, and who was supposed to make sure 3, not two, prcp's were done. Thankfully, canopy was square, steerable, and stable. Felt wonderful under canopy, and tried to focus on landing. As my goggles fogged completely i wondered if should try to remove them or just deal. (I think common sense got scared away by all of brain and body's arguing:S). So, I just dealt. Thank goodness my radio worked, and i could see enough to tell direction through my haze. Flared on time, maybe a little early, stood up, and then the wind knocked me over:P.

Logbook: Good hotel check - nice exit. Gave COA from both JM's. Saw her looking at altimeter but did not look @ JM or verbalize. Did 2 quick practice pulls. No 2nd COA. wave off and pull 5700'.Cleared for level II but must relay altitudes, look at JM's. YAHOO- FUN SKYDIVE

mental state after - Whew! And where was I during that "FUN" skydive. That sucked. Not the jump, but me. What happened up there? Essentially, I exited fine but didn't look up at prop, or the plane. Ignored my heading. Didn't notice my horizon, much less look for it, or even think about it. Did altitude portion of Coa, but decided not to move my head enough to make eye contact, much less communicate altitude. Decided 2 prcp's was enough for me. Stared the altimeter down until 5700, waved off and pulled. Decided not to remove fogged goggles under canopy, figuring i could suffer some severe consequence like clear sight. Thankfully landed fine, made a admirable effort to stand before i fell.
Feeling a little down[:/]. Know I can't quit, because that would only leave me with the option to never do it again. I am surprised that the ol' sensory overload seemed to sneak up again, but at least I'm glad it didn't take over! Ultimately enjoyed the fact that i did the jump, not happy with my performance, and wonder when I'll feel like i had a great jump.Level 2 here i come. . .

Thanks for listening!:)

It's mental overload. Your brain just can't react to EVERYTHING all at once. Keep jumping... it gets easier, and you'll start to get much more aware of whats going on around you. Only gets funner from here!

Sounds like you did great to me. Pulled, landed, didn't cut away for no reason, and didn't fly yourself into power lines. A+

Dave

hey, if you watched your altitude (rather than got lucky and looked at the right time), you're lightyears ahead of Lutz. You pulled yourself, even did some practice pulls.

The L2 diveflow is much more detailed, but you'll likely find a lot more mental clarity. And if not, as long as you again pull, and on time, the DZO will be happy to take your money till you work it out.

Could have been any of us writing your post.
I came through the RAPS system, Never saw a thing until the canopy was open until my 15th static line jump (NO aircraft ,NO sky & NO ground). There was only me, a dummy pull (which I didn't get) and a big DE-arch.
As they say, every jump you walk away from is a good one. IT DOES get easier as the adrenalin rush decreases & you become more aware of what's going on.

Hang in there, stay safe & enjoy.

Get out, Land on a green bit. If you get the pull somewhere in between it would help.

Don't overanalyze. :)

Now get up there and do it again... and again... and again... ;)

edit: BTW, I didn't "see the plane" until somewhere around jumps 12-15 since I kept looking down on exit. I even hit my head on the floor of the Skyvan once. :S It's a good thing I had a helmet on or else I would likely have a nice scar.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080