rave4funn

3 broken lines=my first cutaway

After an obnoxiously hard opening, I feel myself going into a spin. I quickly release my brakes and pull my left toggle all the way down. This stopped he spin, but I am flying with my left toggle all the way down and the right all the way up to fly straight. My mouth is busted, I know I am bleeding, and I am hoping my teeth aren't loose!! I look up to see my canopy looks weird. Then I notice a couple broken lines. At this point I am pretty sure I need to chop this thing when I hear one of the best and most experienced jumpers at our dropzone yelling "CHOP IT!" (he was in the air also obviously and I was checking my airspace so I knew it was him). So, without hesitation, I released the toggles and went for my handles. As soon as I released the toggles my canopy started to go into a spin. I fly a Spectre 210 so it wasn't some kind of crazy fast spin. By the time it made about 180 degree turn I was cutting away. I have an RSL so I am not sure what actually deployed my reserve me or the RSL. I didn't keep my handles. However. My cutaway go caught in my arm even though I wasn't holding it. So, I was able to grab it once I was under my reserve. A bunch of guys were waiting to help me go look for my canopy and free bag. Thankfully we found both in about a half an hour.After examining the main it was determined that I broke three of my A lines on that hard opening. My entire set up only has approximately 20 jumps on it. So, it was not like the lines were worn.
The guy who was yelling for me to chop it was videoing so I'll post a link to it in the next couple of days.

P.S. I did not pack my rig. One of our newer packers packed it. Also, I am going to try and download the info off of my protrack. I am hoping that it will show my speed at deployment. I don't think I was falling any faster than normal.
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

Congrats on carrying out your emergency procedures successfully - and buy a case of beers for the jumper who shouted at you to chop!!

I had the exact experience in the 1980's - followed by a stupid decision that could just as well have resulted in serious injury.

I got carried away with RW, broke off and tracked, then during the track noticed my altimeter going through 2000ft:o I dumped instantly (without de-arching first), and had an opening from hellB|B|, resulting in three broken lines.

I then did the unthinkable and decided to land the mess :S - I also had to keep one brake line pulled down just to keep the canopy flying straight. I somehow convinced myself that landing this mess in the peas where it would be soft was preferable to cutting away...

The canopy descent rate was very fast and I couldn't make it back to the peas - I ended up thundering in on a hard gravel roadB|. Thanks to the best PLF I ever did, I limped away with "only" a massively bruised thigh - could just as well have been a broken femur or spine! Not my finest moment.....:S

From the incidents forum - serious injury after a jumper elected to land a canopy with a broken brake line - I think another case of beers is in order....;)

Briefly, an experienced jumper under a blue and white square canopy around 190 sq ft had a broken brake line at the cascade and elected to land the canopy. Eye witnesses differ as to whether it was a one toggle/one rear riser or double rear flare, and whether or not there was a turn at landing, but the jumper was injured, mainly ankles, it seems.

A buddy of mine edited the clip for me. You can't really see all that much except for the nose on the right hand side bowed up. You can tell when I go for my handles because I start to go into a spin. Things I kick myself for:

1. I should have cut that away quicker. I was trying to fly it straight and deciding if I could land it. I took too long.

2. I checked my altimeter as soon as I was under canopy, and I was right below 3K. I DID NOT check it again before I cut away. I knew I had enough altitude to cut away, but I should have checked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTd0iXipwSs
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

A buddy of mine edited the clip for me. You can't really see all that much except for the nose on the right hand side bowed up. You can tell when I go for my handles because I start to go into a spin. Things I kick myself for:

1. I should have cut that away quicker. I was trying to fly it straight and deciding if I could land it. I took too long.

2. I checked my altimeter as soon as I was under canopy, and I was right below 3K. I DID NOT check it again before I cut away. I knew I had enough altitude to cut away, but I should have checked.

Good evaluations...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…