cmnt

What does being "top docked" mean?

I was reading about Taz death (freefall collision), how they couldn't revive her with CPR after taking her out of the water, etc, and they say the other jumper broke one leg and managed to survive the landing because she was "top docked", what does that mean?

You mean the top skydiver gets over the other jumper's canopy, catches it with the legs somehow and drives him/her wherever he decides?

Like that scene in the movie Drop Zone (1994) I think?

Yes. Some experienced crwdogs can do this manuever. I've done it. It's not always a matter of being over the other jumper. You have to get just a tad ahead and slide right in front close enough to grab the parachute. Coming down from above is a bit more difficult.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Caveat... I am not a CRW-dog... I only have 2 CRW jumps and both were inadvertant... so if you're really interested, you may want to venture over to the CRW forum and chat with folks there, but the way I understand it, "top docking" someone to put together a 2-Stack is quite the feat of skill in CRW. A maneuver to be respected to the max if someone can pull it off. The more "traditional" way of putting together a 2-Stack, my understanding being, the bottom jumper puts his (or her) center cell on the top jumpers butt and the top jumper hooks in that way.

Gotta love those CRW-dogs... I love watchin' them do their thing... from the ground with a beer in hand.
;)

I was reading about Taz death (freefall collision), ...

Actually, Taz was involved in a canopy collision. In CRW, the jumpers exit about 1-2 seconds apart and do a short delay. If someone has an opening that is 180 degrees off, they can fly head-on into the person who exited previous to them. Taz and the other jumper collided, knocking both of them unconscious. Taz landed in the water and did not survive.

The normal way to dock canopies is for the bottom person to approach from the bottom and dock their canopy onto the upper jumper. In a stack like that, the upper jumper has control, and can steer the stack. In this accident, the jumper was unconscious and therefore, unable to steer. That meant that Chris Gay had to intercept the other jumper from above, docking his body onto the other canopy. It's not super-hard for an experienced CRWDog, but it is more difficult than a standard dock. Chris is very good at this, and has done it a number of times. Chris is well-deserving of the FAI award. He almost certainly saved the life of the jumper whom he steered to the beach.

In the accident being discussed, Taz, in addition to being knocked out, had one brake released, causing a spiral descent. This made it impossible for anyone to dock on her.

Kevin K.