Unstable

PT-6 UNSUITABLE for Skydiving!?!?! WHAT!?!?

As a 121 or 135 op you have to comply with all manufacturer recommendations, service bulletins, and AD's as well as required replacement intervals. Part 91 is only required replacement items and AD's. My opinion is that it's a pretty gray area between copmpliance and airworthiness and the FAA contradicts itself. As any FAA administrator will tell you, either the aircraft is airworthy or it is not. In any case, I comply with all the standards for my aircraft because I never want to have to explain to someone why I didn't. Those standards exist because they have been demonstrated as a safe operating envelope.

I agree with you Chris that any engine not producing sufficient take-off power should not be flown. But according to many operators, enough to get off the ground and climb to altitude is enough power.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

DZs greatly benefit from having an experienced, competent and appropriately rated mechanic on hand/staff too. Regular inspections get complied with and squawks get cleared.

What I find interesting, is there are outfits out there, who have maintenance personal on staff, well maintained aircraft (some even with a modern avionics packages) and they seem to operate in the green. Do others think they have to skimp to get by? Like everyone else in aviation, if you can't afford to properly maintain your aircraft - you can not afford the aircraft. Period.

Trey - I love you.