medic0079

hard opening why?

So I need some advice. I've been jumping a heatwave 170 for a while now, and it has always given me hard openings. not enough to knock the wind out of me but stiff. so I've been tossing the idea of slider pockets etc... around. then I started thinking about it. when packing I roll the nose, pull the slider out over the nose, push the nose into the canopy then pull oll the stabilizers over the nose. this gives me slow opening, but i still feel like im getting cracked. it feels like the initial transition from belly to initial deployment from the bag may be where the problem is as it snivles quite well after bag deployment but I get slammed when it first comes out of the bag. is this a pilot chute too big problem? I also have tried rubber bands, tube stows, makes no difference.

I would have to think that it can be any number of reasons. What size is the PC?

Bill Booth has an excellent article in here on how size does matter inref to openings, etc.....

I shacle pack most of the time.. that is folding the nose and tail into each other.... that provides me with a good opening. By generally rolling the nose/ tail some and keeping my lines straight and stows small (2 inches).. no problems...

Stack/ Pro packing try to roll the nose more... even you can go as far as rolling the cells into the center and further roll one or two times.... this of course will slow your opening further.....

Hopes that this helps.....;)

Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

A smaller pilot should smooth out the initial "snatch" portion of the opening. Man, with all that rolling and tucking, it oughta' be snivellin' like a big dog! How old is the lineset on that canopy and what type? Almost sounds like you're takin' a "spectra spanking" on opening, could be line shrink.
"T'was ever thus."

Sounds like the way a heatwave opens to me. They aren't known for being snivelly gentle canopies!! :P But they get worse when they are out of trim, the poster before me may be on to something with the question about the line trim!

The one I jumped opened hard, and my own PISA Hornet opened hard too. :P I cured it by rolling the four outer nose cells on each side and then stuffing that into the nose.

That and pulling the slider out a bit makes it snivel like a pilot. YMMV!

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I am no rigger but 24 inch zp doesn't sound like it is big enough to be causing your problems, I have been jumping a 28' zp pilot chute with canopies sized from 170-132 with no problem for over 400 jumps.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Have you mad sure your D bag is the proper size? If it's too big, the canopy will expand to fit when packed. Even the next size down might slow things down.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I'm not a rigger but I'll share my experience with my canopy.

I have a Stiletto 170, which has about 700 jumps on it. The last guy gave it to me because it opened too quickly. It had an oversized slider on it. It was opening too slowly for me, so I had a regular slider put back on it. After it was consistently slamming me, I had a rigger put the oversized slider back on. Now it opens too slowly, and I have to pump the rear risers on opening because it does not want to come down the lines on its own. I talked to the previous owner and he said that he sent the canopy back to PD and they couldn't find what was wrong with it. They suggested to him that he put an oversized slider on it. So I know it has nothing to do with my pack job (I'm a packer and I don't slam everyone I pack for).

So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

My philosphy has always been
1. If someone has a hard opening on my packjob, it's body position
2. If I have a hard opening on someone else's packjob, it's a packing error
3. If I have a hard opening on my packjob, it's an equipment issue
;)

I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried