AndyMan

Have you had a cypres fire?

I didn't offer that option because I wasn't trying to identify every different kind of Cypres activation. The sole intention of the poll was to determine what ratio of Cypres Fires result in two-outs. Of all the cypres fires, how many jumpers would have landed uneventfully under their main had the unit not fired?

As your story shows, the poll options weren't perfect, but the results are still interesting.

I would think (hope) that the situation you describe is rare...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I didn't offer that option because I wasn't trying to identify every different kind of Cypres activation. The sole intention of the poll was to determine what ratio of Cypres Fires result in two-outs. Of all the cypres fires, how many jumpers would have landed uneventfully under their main had the unit not fired?

As your story shows, the poll options weren't perfect, but the results are still interesting.

I would think (hope) that the situation you describe is rare...

_Am

I don't know how rare it is but I'd guess it's a significant portion of real saves. I have heard that cutaways with no reserve deployment used to be a significant contributor to fatalities before AADs.

If saves are underreported then it casts even more doubt on the results.

One thing we can't be sure about for every two out is what the outcome would have been without the AAD firing. I expect a small fraction of those are still saves.

I personally want to thank you for your story. I'm completely new here, 40 jumps, and I look for any information on the "what to do" when the shit hits the fan. I'm hoping my altitude awareness by visual ques comes on real soon and even though I just bought a Pro-Trac I will rely on the wrist altimeter more. My home DZ is Perris, CA and they are really hard on Cypress fires now. I had two close ones recently and that is what made me decide to get an audible.

Thank you again for your story. I will use what I have gleaned..... if it ever comes up. I want to be ready BEFORE it happens.

I had around 30/40 jumps and had an FXC fire. Person spotting was arguing with the pilot about the spot, there were clouds and she (person spotting) made sure to inform me what to do if we ended up in the clouds, and that I had better track well! Jump went like crap, I did track but just a bit too long, I was under a good main at 1800 feet when the FXC opened my reserve. I waited for the reserve to come up behind me and released the main. It was rental gear for whatever that’s worth, and back in 1990 very few licensed skydivers had AADs at that time.
I answered no, it wasn’t a Cypress.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ