garretcurtis

Mile-Hi Donates Money/Santa Clause to Jump into Ice Arena Saturday

That's pretty cool that they did that but

>>Most skydivers also pay a $2-per-jump surcharge that goes into the fund, Casares said.

Correct me if I am wrong, but maybe that explains why they have the priciest lift ticket in the whole state despite having an efficient plane and a huge tandem base:|

Please don't ban me. Just an observation. Call me the grinch if you want but if I want to skydive, I go to the dropzone. If I want to donate to charity, I whip out my check book and do so. I have donated money before, but I have no desire to combine the two. I will base my decision on where to jump on several factors, price being one of the biggest.

Take a look at this article from the Times Call about Mile-Hi Skydiving and Frank Casares donating money to keep the Ice Rink open another year in Longmont.

http://www.timescall.com/Local-Story.asp?ID=5158

Santa Clause is set to jump into the grand opening ceremonies Saturday morning at 10am at Roosevelt Park!

Some other things you ought to know about this 'donation'

- the fund was set up by Jeff Sands' family - not Caseras
- the money comes from jumpers paying $2 extra per ticket - whether they know it or not
- the company that administers the fund also gave (the new) Mile-High (management) an $800,000 loan in 2004 at 3.51%
[source 990 forms from Community Foundation available on Guidestar.org]

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

All very interesting, but what's your point? Is your issue with the writer of the article or Frank or the Jeff Sands Fund?? The article points out that Frank suggested this to the Solich's. I do not mind paying $2.00 more to jump at Mile-High. The price of gas to Brush or Canon City or even my old DZ at Calhan doesn't make much sense. Also the Otter and the facilities make it worth the $2.00. If you have a product worth more than the other guy, you charge for it. Damn capitalism! If your pointing out that the loan was made at less than the going rate, then you need to speak to the Solich's and their accountant to see what went into that decision. Risk vs. Rate of Return, etc., but I sure don't mind a dropzone borrowing money at the lowest possible interest rate. I hear Frank is also using the additional money to enclose all of Longmont in a giant bubble, so we can jump 365, so it's all good.
----------------------------------
Am I still in this world?
Yes, Grandfather.
I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction :$, but as usual, #120 replies in that thread and nothing close to a coherent well thought-out response as to why someone would bitch about $1.00 increase for what turns out to be a brilliant PR move in a community soon to be taken over by left wing nutbars from the Republic of Boulder who have had an agenda against the noise, pollution and dangers :P of what is a well run dropzone for a number of years. I think Mile-Hi and Frank are fighting a losing battle against a small minority of the residents in Longmont:(, but I'll keep jumping there until they do. Where else is someone going to laydown a 600'+ swoop?

----------------------------------
Am I still in this world?
Yes, Grandfather.
I was afraid of that.

- the money comes from jumpers paying $2 extra per ticket - whether they know it or not
- the company that administers the fund also gave (the new) Mile-High (management) an $800,000 loan in 2004 at 3.51%

What's your fucking point?

Do you have a point, or are you just trying to shit on anything you can find?

What's your fucking point?

Do you have a point, or are you just trying to shit on anything you can find?

It is additional information, albeit incomplete.

There is also info on percentages of funds donated and percentages of the Comm. Foundation too that could be used to evaluate the situation.

It is no different than someone filling in #jumps, WL and experience levels on an incident report.
People blast some newbie for being in over his head because the WL was too high for # of jumps.
People ought to be able to see where the money is coming from and say kudos to the right set of people, as opposed to passing on kudos upon people that didn't really provide the donations, but merely passed donations on because of contractual agreements.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker