pontiacgtp00

AFF Stability

Welll we got rained out this weekend so I didn't get to complete my static line. Next weekend its supposed to be like 38F outside....but as long as it isn't raining I'm going to complete that jump

Just remember to wear your woolies so you don't get too cold;)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Much of the skill involved in being an AFF-JM is being able to ride the exit for those first few seconds until they notice you shaking them, giving them signals and screaming "ARCH!" in their ear.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Are you

Are you saying that AFF Instructors are just training-wheels with big egos?
Tee!
Hee!

Hi There!

I have a question but didn't want to be redundant and create a whole new thread.

I'm starting my AFF soon (FJC will be Dec. 26th!!!) and was wondering if stability from the arch comes from airflow or balance from your center of gravity? Or possibly a combination of both?

I did a tandem jump about a month ago (which got my obsession with the sky started!) and suffered the typical sensory overload so didn't really notice much regarding that. Sorry for the stupid question!

Best,
Andrew

I ... was wondering if stability from the arch comes from airflow or balance from your center of gravity? Or possibly a combination of both?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is a combination of both.

Basically, you are trying to get your center of gravity (belt buckle) up wind of your control surfaces (arms and legs).
Arrows and airplanes and badminton birdies work the same way.
Try to picture your beer gut as the ball of a badminton birdie (shuttlecock) while your arms and legs work like the feathers. Any time your center of gravity tilts off the side, unequal drag on the feathers (limbs) will force your center of gravity (belt buckle) towards the center line.

Wow today was great. Made two IAD jumps from 4,500 feet. It was truly amazing the feeling I got as soon as I let go of the strut. Definitely more fun than a tandem. I felt pretty comfortable under canopy too, stood up both landings. Don't want to get too cocky thoughB|. Wind died down on my 2nd jump, torqued my ankle a tiny bit but it was still a decent landing. I'm looking forward to starting free fall now.

Wow today was great. Made two IAD jumps from 4,500 feet. It was truly amazing the feeling I got as soon as I let go of the strut. Definitely more fun than a tandem. I felt pretty comfortable under canopy too, stood up both landings. Don't want to get too cocky thoughB|. Wind died down on my 2nd jump, torqued my ankle a tiny bit but it was still a decent landing. I'm looking forward to starting free fall now.

Congrats!!! Glad that things went so well. I admit I am rather jealous - you get blue skies - I get a foot of snow:P:P:P:P:P
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Congrats!!! Glad that things went so well. I admit I am rather jealous - you get blue skies - I get a foot of snow:P:P:P:P:P

Haha the weather here has been so strange lately! Last week there were tons of snow on the ground, then all the sudden its bright and sunny out and about 65F. Was an amazing day for december.

So, just out of curiosity, how do IAD progressions normally work? Do I just start with like a 3 second delay with dummy pulls, then progress to longer delays and pulling...or will I do the AFF style of freefall with two instructors holding onto me (this scares the hell out of me). I'm going to ask my instructor about it next time I see him anyway, so don't worry about giving me information that might be a bit different. I'm just sitting bored on a weekday. :)