KevinLizard

Skydive Pilot Wage?

Is it true pilot for jump plane earn $20 per hour? It must be good wage! :)

Whatever happened to a sandwich and maybe a free jump?

$20 bucks an hour seems a bit steep.

:D

The sandwich is always stale and by the time I can get out of the plane to make that great discounted solo jump no one wants to make a load. So, in the mean time, pilots should go right on trying to get paid what they are worth and it's a lot more than $20 an hour.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

That is a recent shift.
Traditionally, flying instructors were paid as poorly as jump pilots, but recently, commuter airlines have been decimating the ranks of flying instructors. This new policy of "eating their young" has left some flight schools scrambling to find enough instructors to train next year's flock of commuter co-pilots.
This recent hiring surge is forcing flying schools to start pay "real" wages if they want to retain staff.

now the age extention to 65 killed that hiring for another 5 years.

That is a recent shift.
Traditionally, flying instructors were paid as poorly as jump pilots, but recently, commuter airlines have been decimating the ranks of flying instructors. This new policy of "eating their young" has left some flight schools scrambling to find enough instructors to train next year's flock of commuter co-pilots.
This recent hiring surge is forcing flying schools to start pay "real" wages if they want to retain staff.

now the age extention to 65 killed that hiring for another 5 years.

Hardly. For every pilot that made it to 60 one medicalled out early. To get to 65 will not be that easy. 65 may have slowed things a bit for now but it is not putting a halt to hiring at all. Republic will hire 1,000 pilots in 2008 according to their plan.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Republic will hire 1,000 pilots in 2008 according to their plan.

And somebody has to get paid to train those pilots to the point where they can get hired!
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

He's been doing it for the last 25 years so it shouldn't be long now:S.

Simply speaking, he's one of the best people in the sport I know. True old school in how he lives it and gives back to the rest. He's loves the sport and will be doing it forever. That DZ is a true gem and I hope it's around for a long time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In the future... you might not want to be such a sensitillia... and try work on your sense of humor.

whatever you intended, your delivery sucked - now you've dinked (accidentally or not) on two people that have given more to this sport than you might ever get the luck to even approach

:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Keep in mind pilot pay doesnt work like the way you get paid. Its not 20/hr on the clock. Its 20/hr hobbs time.

I love how people see the hourly wages of pilots and think they get paid a lot.

Its not like you clock in at 9 and off at 5. The hourly rate is only for every hour that the plane is flying. Thats about two tenths of an hour for a hop and pop and four tenths for a full load.

Fact is, skydive pilot pay is insulting. Most jump pilots make 10-20k per year, without health insurance, sick days, or other benefits. That is so that your jump ticket is 22 instead of 25.

Just remember that you get what you pay for.

As far as building experience....its not all about time. Its about QUALITY time. Flying skydivers is ok for a few hundred hours, but after that it doesnt help much at all. I would hire a 1800 hour single pilot freight dog over a 3000 hour twotter skydive pilot any day....and so would most other pilot hiring managers.

For the record, ive been a c182 and twotter skydive pilot, freight dog, and people charter pilot, and ive been on both sides of the hiring table.

whatever you intended, your delivery sucked - now you've dinked (accidentally or not) on two people that have given more to this sport than you might ever get the luck to even approach

:P

Oooooooooooohhhhh... I'm such a bad man. :P

Whatever dude! I was just trying to crack a funny, but I never claimed to be a professional comedian. Obviously if I ever have any hopes or aspirations of entering into that field I should keep this exchange in mind and totally steer clear of the thought. To suggest that I would intentionally attack someone's character that I don't even know, just goes to show that you don't know me as well. I'm really not a bad man at all. :ph34r: I find it admirable that you all jump to each other's defense so quickly, but seriously it's not even warranted. Even if I had been serious in my original post in trying to defame this person's character, what could you possibly have hoped to achieve by calling me on it? Anyone that would put out a negative comment about a total stranger would probably give a rats ass to a total stranger's response to it. So in that respect, it's just come down to a bunch of assholes bagging on each other with no hope of any positive outcome. Perhaps the two of you would just like an apology. Well, I would never apologize for making a joke. I am of the mind that people need to laugh more. And to be honest with you, I think a good chuckle would do the two of you a whole world of good. I'm sorry I couldn't be the one to give it to you, however I suggest you find someone that can, and quickly.

Actually, I find it kind of flattering to know I've had such an impact on your lives. You've touched me as well. :P It's unfortunate that it had to be a negative one. :( Perhaps we'll all meet in person one day (where visual cues and audio inflections will be more easily recognizeable) and have a good laugh together.:P

Yeah, I know... What an Asshole huh? I get that a lot. ;) Peace.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer