sorc

terminal speed impact ??

really?? at terminal velocity?

Nick Alkemade of the RAF, tail gunner in an AVRO Lancaster bomber, was trapped in his burning gun turret after the bomber was attacked by a German Ju-88 bomber. His parachute was in the cabin area, but he couldn't get it, so he jumped out of the plane, preferring a quick death to being burned alive.
Alkemade fell from 18,000 feet, all the while thinking of his impending death, falling in a position with his head down. Suddenly, he was on the ground, looking up at the stars through some pine trees. He couldn't believe he was okay, but moving both arms and legs he soon realized he was not even hurt badly and smoked a cigarette before getting up.
Pine trees had slowed his descent and he fell to soft snow. His most serious injury was a sprained leg.
Alkemade was captured by the Germans. The Gestapo did not believe his story until they inspected the parachute harness and found his burned parachute at the crash site!

From what i was told alska jon also hit soft snow on top of the remarkables the day before i turned up at terminal and walked away. Apparently he had a streamer and landed on top of the mountain in fresh snow.

What i am not going to believe here is that a guy hit the ground at terminal landing on his feet.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

What i am not going to believe here is that a guy hit the ground at terminal landing on his feet.

Werd...

That would pretty much leave someone looking like Mr. Potato Head.:P
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Vesna Vulovic Also survived a 33,000' foot fall. I don't know the circumstances surrounding her impact, but she did in fact survive without a parachute or any other device to slow her in freefall.

I guess the point is simple: No chute = instant gruesome death. Those that have survived these kind of situations have nothing but extremely good luck and a few circumstances working in their favor. Don't expect the same. :|
=========Shaun ==========

Back in the early eighties a woman with some twenty or so jumps went in with no pull at Perris and lived. What happened was she went feet first into one of the ponds at the local sewage treatment plant and found herself standing up to her chin in, uh, deep shit. She broke a lot of bones and had some serious internal injuries, but she pulled through. The Parameds showed supreme professionalism by getting in there with her to strap her onto a backboard and hoist her out.

By the way, she was also wearing a Timex watch, and - you guessed it - made a Timex commercial some years later (but Timex left out the shitty details). Even funnier thing about this story is that I was packing my rig out on the lawn last year and this woman who lives across the alley came over and started telling me how HER COUSIN had gone into the shitter at Perris and lived.... Had to tell her that her cousin was sort of famous for having done that.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Vesna Vulovic Also survived a 33,000' foot fall. I don't know the circumstances surrounding her impact, but she did in fact survive without a parachute or any other device to slow her in freefall.

I thought she was slowed down -- coming down within a portion of the fuselage. (I have heard either tail or center section depending on source.) Still lots of luck involved.

I seem to recall a couple similar "in wreckage" cases, where people survived. Some RAF fellow in a section of light bomber that broke apart after being hit over a German harbour, although it was fairly low altitude. And a couple people in the rear seats of a C-185 that broke apart at 3,500'. Their seats and tail section (no wings) landed in deep snow. (Quebec, 1997)

Here is one survivng double mal:

http://video.google.pl/videoplay?docid=9090418217553474880&q=slow+reserve&total=68&start=20&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Miracle Mike: after deploying his main parachute, his reserve deployed accidently. (He was jumping a Dolphin container). He made several jumps on this container that day, but did not notice the RSL laynard routing problem that developed from mishandling the container. His man risers pulled the RSL lanyard out and dumped his reserve into his main. He then compounded issues by cutting away his main. He spun around without control of either parachute from 4000 feet or so while a couple of hundred people watched. He disappeared behinf the tree line.

I was one of the first persons on the scene. Expecting to see a badly broken and mangled body, Mike was laying flat on his back in thick mud. He was unscathed. He returned from the hospital a few hours later with nothing but a single scratch on his neck. whew! after careful inspection of the video you can see that the main has at least 4 cells inflated. The reserve is creating drag as well to slow him down to a survivable speed. In addition, landing in soft thick mud and bushes broke his fall. Had his main actually managed to clear after cutting away, and or if he landed on concrete, Miracle Mike might be called 'Mop-up Mike' instead.

Back in the early eighties a woman with some twenty or so jumps went in with no pull at Perris and lived. What happened was she went feet first into one of the ponds at the local sewage treatment plant and found herself standing up to her chin in, uh, deep shit. She broke a lot of bones and had some serious internal injuries, but she pulled through. The Parameds showed supreme professionalism by getting in there with her to strap her onto a backboard and hoist her out.

By the way, she was also wearing a Timex watch, and - you guessed it - made a Timex commercial some years later (but Timex left out the shitty details). Even funnier thing about this story is that I was packing my rig out on the lawn last year and this woman who lives across the alley came over and started telling me how HER COUSIN had gone into the shitter at Perris and lived.... Had to tell her that her cousin was sort of famous for having done that.

And her name was????

Lisa Boyer

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There are very few cases where a person has enough drag that they do a standup impact and live. It is when something on the surface slows their descent (tree limbs) or the surface is not solid (snow, mud).
Even surviving is usually with huge injuries.

If you are skydiving and hit at 100mph, you are dead.

Pine trees had slowed his descent and he fell to soft snow.

Wonder what his speed was when he hit solid ground...wasn't 'terminal'.

jeez sorry dude didn't think it was so specific...[:/]

Specifics Bob...;)

Arch Deal said HE went in at 120....Said it anyway.:ph34r:

http://www.big13.net/Arch%20Deal/arch_deal_new_6a.htm

Arch told me that he was 5'9" when he left the plane and 5'8" when he left the hospital. I think he said that 2 of his disks were destroyed and the verterbrae were fused.
He broke most of his ribs and his neck too.

He wasn't going 120, he had stuff out. He tells people 60. Who knows.

He went through a citrus tree and the branches helped.
Another thing was that the sand under the tree was soft. He said that his feet went 5" into the sand.

He kept jumping for years 20 years or so afterwards.
He had a bad landing 2 years ago. He is in his late 70s.

I made a leap and shared a laugh with Gene Minnel (sp?) from Alaska a couple years after he hit the ground in freefall after cutting away from his main and failing to pull a ripcord far enough to open his spare. It was a on a demo into a new shopping center in Fairbanks, I think, around 1979 or 1980.
He died a couple years ago from cancer, buty one of the skydivers who watched said they ran over to the edge of the parking lot expecting to find a dead body, but Minnel looked up and said, "that wasn't so bad."
He claimed he aimed for the trees on the edge of the lot and rolled onto his back just before hitting the branches, and then the snow removed from the parking lot piled beneath the trees.
Seems he had massive bruises, a couple broken fingers and a crushed heel on one foot that hit the edge of the pavement.

On the other hand, I've seen bounces who exploded into pieces on impact and others that hardly seemed damaged at all ... but they were dead.
The worst ones are the ones that are still trying to move and (sometimes only trying to) talk, but they're going to be dead anyway, whether an ambulance gets there or not.
Zing Lurks

On the other hand, I've seen bounces who exploded into pieces on impact and others that hardly seemed damaged at all ... but they were dead.
The worst ones are the ones that are still trying to move and (sometimes only trying to) talk, but they're going to be dead anyway, whether an ambulance gets there or not.

shit dude, i hope i will never be that relaxed if i watch someone "bounce.....:|

Who said he was "relaxed"? It's one of the worst feelings in the world, but when the shit hits the fan (or bodies hit the ground) you can either go to pieces, or start picking up the pieces.. Either run around and panic franticly, or do something useful (like smack the others).

And people often make light of things, or find humor in tragedy, because it helps release stress, and negative emotion without being destructive to the psyche.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

just the context of this gives me the 'goosebumps', never meant 'relaxed' in that sort of way;)

Arch told me that he was 5'9" when he left the plane and 5'8" when he left the hospital. I think he said that 2 of his disks were destroyed and the vertebrae were fused.
He broke most of his ribs and his neck too.

He wasn't going 120, he had stuff out. He tells people 60. Who knows.

He went through a citrus tree and the branches helped.
Another thing was that the sand under the tree was soft. He said that his feet went 5" into the sand.

He kept jumping for years 20 years or so afterwards.
He had a bad landing 2 years ago. He is in his late 70s.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=466985#466985

Back in the 80's I knew Arch from the demo circuit, he was affiliated with the Miller Lite Skydiving Team...He told the story many many many times, and always said 120 or 130.