mjrod

Always Learning by Challenging Yourself

I went out on my first 8 way ( Yes, beer) and was amazed at the things that happened. I have over 70 Halo jumps eight years ago in another life, and and 30 skydive jumps in the last 4 months, so I do not have a lot of RW skills,

Learning to control my fall rate is paramount, especially at 245 lbs. max rate today was 147 and 153 for me. A Bev suit will be my next purchase.

A lot of events happen in a short period of time, and I can see the skills are really needed to do this type of dicipline.

It is easy to lose altitude awareness. I was so caught up in the dive, that when i saw everyone breaking away, I relialized, i was close to 3K, not low for me, it was the realization, that you can lose awarness, and then the canopy skills are very important, cause you don't have the altitude that you may be used to.

Went back up and did a 3 way, which was better as far as awareness, but have got to control that fall rate.

Have to jump evert weeekend in groups of 2 or more and have to get to a tunnel camp. This RW takes skill.

Challenges result in learning.
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Glad you realized you need to work on smaller size formations before you attempt an 8 way again! ;)

Since you have 70 HALO jumps, you should concider yourself a student at RW, with only 30 sport jumps.

Doing something like an 8way will only lead to failure, and at times be dangerous, as you have found out. [:/]

Starting out with smaller formations will get you better at adjusting your fall rate and staying in close proximity to the other jumpers with you.

It will also help you set your internal clock hopefully, to get you to breakoff at the right altitude. ;)

Doing a tunnel camp may help you greatly yes, but again, as you found out on this jump it's easy to lose altitude awareness when there is too much going on. [:/]

Keep it small and build from there. ;)

Stay Safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Yep, I do agree with the considering myself on student status, especially after a 8 year break. It is on to coached jump and smaller formations to learn how to fly RW.

Thanks

Excellent ;)

Be safe and have fun! :)

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com