labrys

Winds aloft RSS feed

Thanks again. I guess I didn't express my needs very well. I want physical, programmatic access to the data, I don't want to go look at it. I suppose I could screen scrape it from NOAA but I was hoping for something a little cleaner.

The folks who designed that web page are accessing that data directly from NOAA or someplace. I need to do the same thing.

The link within your link refers back to a web page that displays the raw data, but not the actual raw data. I need to get under the hood, so to speak.
Owned by Remi #?

Thanks again. I guess I didn't express my needs very well. I want physical, programmatic access to the data, I don't want to go look at it. I suppose I could screen scrape it from NOAA but I was hoping for something a little cleaner.

Why not read the NOAA Aviation weather center FAQ.

The first FAQ appears to address how to directly access the NOAA data directly... there might be additional number crunching needed to get the data how you need it but it is readily available.

http://aviationweather.gov/static/faq/

It doesn't look like it would need to be "stripped" from the site.

for example to get winds aloft for the denver area

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/index.php?submit=1&station_ids=KDEN&chk_tafs=on

or if you want to make it look pretty (readable by humans)

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/index.php?submit=1&station_ids=KDEN&chk_tafs=on&hoursStr=2&std_trans=translated

it should be a simple process to read the first set of data using a computer program and I haven't done any programing for a while.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Why not read the NOAA Aviation weather center FAQ.

The first FAQ appears to address how to directly access the NOAA data directly... there might be additional number crunching needed to get the data how you need it but it is readily available.

I did read the FAQ. That's why I posted here asking if anyone knew of a feed. I'm trying to avoid a screen scrape if possible. They're (programmatically) ugly and unreliable. I really appreciate you guys trying to help, but I'm simply not looking for a website that displays the data, I'm was hoping that someone might know of a feed or direct access to the data. It would be much cleaner and less subject to errors than a scrape. The data is for machine consumption, not human.
Owned by Remi #?

When I wrote that script I couldn't find anything else that was public, and I vaguely recall emailing someone with the ADDS and confirming this.

If you find a source please let us know. The screen scrape has been reliable for me, but I know what you mean by preferring another source.

Hey, if it breaks I just get to do some more fun programming.

Thanks a ton, Gary.

If I don't find a source, what I'll end up doing is screen scraping the whole thing daily and then creating my own feed from that (assuming that's not against the law ;) )

If I end up creating a feed I'll publish a link to it so that anyone else who wants to use it can.

Owned by Remi #?

When I wrote that script I couldn't find anything else that was public, and I vaguely recall emailing someone with the ADDS and confirming this.

Oh cool... I found your linked web site when I first starting looking for feeds and I thought it was great... I didn't get it until this post that you wrote that script. :$
Owned by Remi #?