skygrl70

Yet another currency question

I have not jumped since June, due to personal and financial reasons. I will probably not be able to get back in the air until May. I have my A. What will I need to do with almost a year out? I think I may want to do a tandem before my refresher. Does that make me a wimp?

If doing a tandem will make you more comfortable before doing a coach jump, i say go for it. Maybe it will help avoid too much sensory overload when you do jump with a coach to get re-current.

BTW, welcome back to the sky. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Whilst a year out is a reasonable amount of time I would consider doing your currency as an AFF level rather than a tandem. You quoted one of your reasons for not jumping as financial but a tandem refresher will still require another refresher afterwards so will cost more. Do what you are comfortable with but with 46 jumps you should be able to grab the bull by the horns and go straight for the instructor jump - you never know you might find tandem more scary as you are used to being in control...

Just my opinion however, do what YOU feel is right.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

The very fact that you took the time to ask about doing a tandem answers you own question. You are the one who knows you best, and it sounds like you think the tandem would be the way to go. You are not a wimp.

Remember to have fun.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>I have my A. What will I need to do with almost a year out?
>I think I may want to do a tandem before my refresher.
>Does that make me a wimp?

:-)

No, I think it means, number one, that you recognize that
skydiving is dangerous as hell and you need to get all
the ways to go about it safely back at your finger tips,
and number two, that you listen to yourself and don't just
do what someone might say.

Those are good qualities.

If there's a coach or experienced jumper that you have
good rapport with who can give you a good review and
make you feel OK, then go that way.

Lots of dropzones do some version of a level four AFF
jump for this.

If you don't have such a person and want to do a tandem,
then do a tandem, but you're not a brand new student
anymore, and being a passenger may not be as helpful
as you think.

Which ever way you go come back to this thread and
tell us the rest of the story.

Skr

You are not a wimp, i was your situation last year and was a bit afraid to jump agian even though i really wanted to. Here is my post
The advice that helped me the most was made by chutless:

Believe in YOURSELF. You are a proven jumper.

If you have jumped before, all subsequent jumps are repeats.

If you have conquered the sky before...you can do a repeat jump...and conquer it again.

You know there isnt anything to be afraid of...you were able to demonstrate that you copuld handle it all before...go and handle it all again.

Believe in YOURSELF....and do it again...just like the last time.

I'd wish you good luck, but luck doesnmt really enter into it...it is you and your ability...the same ability you demonstrated to everyone before...use it again.

Have a great jump.Wink

Bill Cole D-41
A

I too have been unable to jump for almost a year due to my work schedule, but now I'm looking to get back in it. Just so happens that work has me staying near Perris for a couple weeks, so I'm working on getting my currency there. They required me to retake the AFF first jump course before doing a level 4 style jump. I believe the first jump course was required because I never got my A (I was slack on getting stuff signed), but even if you don't have to take it, it may be a good idea. I surely feel better about that first jump back having just reviewed the basic safety issues.

Like the others said, do what it takes to make yourself comfortable. For me it was the first jump course, but if a tandem is what you feel you need then go for it. :)

Also, keep in mind that I'm in your same shoes, so take this advice with a grain of salt... I'm far from qualified to give real anyone safety information. ;)

-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin