dropdeded

With respect, question about Perris Otter Crash Victims (1992)

>>You wont be able to jump at Zhills. Otters you know.
I live in So Cal and both Elsinore's and Perris' Otters have side by side bench seating. If you guys are sitting on the floor, or on straddle benches, I'd still suggest putting your legs beside the jumper in front of you.

And it's not just in a worst case scenario like the Perris Otter incident. An aborted take-off, blown tire, or anything else that could produce an on the ground collision, or a sudden stop, is better taken without someone between your legs . . .

NickD :)

is better taken without someone between your legs . . .

I'm still having trouble figuring out how it matters that much as long as everyone is restrained with a seatbelt. Do I want someone pushing on me from 45 degrees to the side, or the front? Why is one inherently safer?

If straddle benches are so dangerous, why are they so popular? They are certainly more comfortable.

- Dan G

It would depend on the seat belt configuration. If you just wrap it around a MLW or leg strap then while you won't go flying in a collision, that's still a lot of slack in each belt spread out over everyone on the load. Plus you'll pivot on that point of attachment.

But luckily crashes are rare compared to how many operations there are so in the end I suppose it's what you're comfortable with . . .

NickD :)

I usually have a tandem student between my legs so I guess I'm screwed in a crash. It is my job to protect my student though.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative