arl120384

Packing Trouble

Hy everybody,

Im fairly new to the sport with about 55 jumps. I just got a new rig with a used main (80 jumps). I have never been the greatest at packing but I seem to be having more trouble now than before, whether it be the new canopy (Spectre 210) or the new season, or my experience level. I have no problems before and after folding the canopy and getting it into the bag. Thats my weakness, up to and after that I am fine.

Some experienced people have said, "well it opens fine right?" Well, yes it has never given me a problem but I dont feel comfortable, because it seems to fall apart when putting it into the bag and I kind of just stuff it in there every which way.

I know packing is hard to speak about, but is there any advice out there that may help me out?\

Thanks all

AL

When making your first s-fold, keep constant forward pressure on the end of the packjob, where the lines are. Then, place your knee in the same spot. If done right, it shouldn't slip around anywhere. You just need to find that sweet spot. Next, wrap the rest of your canopy, and get it down to size. When you're ready to make your second s-fold, keep your knee on the first. Bring the second s-fold over with one hand, and when you've got it in the right spot, remove your knee, but keep a hand on the first s-fold. Then quickly take your hand out, and place a knee on the entire packjob. Feel that sweet spot under your knee, and if you got the right spot, your canopy won't grow on you. Then just simply roll the tail in and bring the bag to you. Remember that with the bag, you're pulling the bag over the pack job, not pushing the pack job into the bag.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

A few quick tips
1. Make sure you get as much air out as possible and cocoon it as small as you can.
2. When you put your knee on your folds, just place your knee on it to hold it in place. Don't push down or the whole thing will blow up before you get it in the bag.
3. Once you have it folded and under control quickly put one corner of the flap of the bag under one side of the canopy and put you knee on the bag to hold it in place. Then you can get the top corner of the bag around the same side of the canopy and get the other corner of the flap under the other side, put your knee on that and tuck in the rest of the canopy. As soon as you get the whole thing in the bag put your knees on it.
Well behaved women don't often make history.

I just learned how to pack recently, and there is a video in the gear section somewhere called PD packing that helped allot, a search should turn it up. Since you have your own gear, just clear out the living room and do the pack one step at a time. Look at the video, pause, go do it yourself 10 times, continue. Good luck

Mainly, don't give up, don't worry and practice, practice, practice.

It will become easier, it will become neater, and it *wants* to open.

I must have been doing something wrong with the greed method, because I got harder openings from it. Must have been doing something wrong with controlling the slider. I went back to the classic propack.
Johan.
I am. I think.

I just learned how to pack recently, and there is a video in the gear section somewhere called PD packing that helped allot, a search should turn it up. Since you have your own gear, just clear out the living room and do the pack one step at a time. Look at the video, pause, go do it yourself 10 times, continue. Good luck

Link to the video:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6886&string=packing