CElkins

Minimum Age

I am want in getting into skydiving and naturally I want to make my first jump asap.And I was wondering what the minimum age is. I have read that it is 16 with parental consent. But a friend of mine made his first jump when he was 13.
Thanks
CElkins

Unless you're in the US.

Starting at 13 is very young, and on a grim note, that's a terrible age to die at in the case of an accident, which is more likely when faced with the teenage years, when you feel invincible.

For USPA, the minimum age is 16 w/ parental consent. I think that's fine, for a tandem, but that's still pretty young to be piloting a canopy. Not a good time to be learning to drive, and pilot.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Skydiving at age 13 is probably going to be tough for you depending on where you live. The USPA rule has been descirbed above. Other countries may have different rules. Yes, a few kids in the USA with family links to drop zones have jumped younger, but don't expect that you can do that unless you already have the connections.

There is, however, an alternative for you. At your age you can fly in a vertical wind tunnel. This allows you to experience the sensation of freefall without the risks associated with parachutes.

Look here for more info: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=42;
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Hey,
I do think the wind tunnel is a great tool for preparing you for skydiving, but the bill will get expensive rather quick. I was in you place a couple years ago. I had the itch to jump, but I was too young. That was when I was your age, 15.

Here is what I did:
Got a job ASAP. probably shortly after my 16th birthday. Saved my arse off until my 18th birthday. I had enough money to get my license within 3 weeks, and I had my first rig in a month. It will suck, and the time goes by slow. But when you are ready for your 1st jump, expenses will seem more in reach than you think.

Also, I'd like to add that the USPA requires you to be 16, but some state laws require you to be 18. Check your local dropzone for their rules and regulations. (click the dropzone tab at the top).

Hint: Non USPA dropzone if your state doesnt have an age 18 law regarding skydiving. Make friends with the locals, pack for free, buy drinks etc....

Your networking may pay off to your favor...If you have any questions regarding specifics, PM me. (click on my profile and select send private message).

Stay determined and you'll fly,
Jake
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

Really, I'm not dead yet, 16 is a fine age for young people to start jumping and we been doing it for years in the sport, known a lot 14 year olds too who went on to be high time jumpers, they all did canopy flight just fine.

FYI-You can solo a glider @ 14 too!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I was just saying because remembering back when I was 13-16, my ability to carry out more complex tasks was lower. If I was faced with a life/death situation in which I would have to rely on my own knowledge and skill to live, I don't think I would have done so well at that young of an age.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I was just saying because remembering back when I was 13-16, my ability to carry out more complex tasks was lower.

Well that's you, don't apply your skill set and abilitys to everyone else.

If I was faced with a life/death situation in which I would have to rely on my own knowledge and skill to live, I don't think I would have done so well at that young of an age.

That's why it's called training, and jumpers regardless of age should be trained in on going manner and for each jump while on student jumps. Skydiving is not for everyone and it should be based on their performance in the FJC and not on their age, 16 is as low of an age as I personally feel should be allowed IMO, however had my dad let one DZO who wanted to let me jump @14, I would have done so in a second.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo