buba07

Controversial insight

One thing I don't see a lot from students anymore is coming down even if the weather is bad. There's usually people down at our DZ when the weather is poor and there is still plenty that can be learned. Just listening to the stories, asking questions, and learning to pack. When student shows up on non-jump days this shows a level of dedication that far outshines those fair-weather DZ goers.

There are some of us students around who do show up rain or shine. Since I decided November was a good time to start AFF in Idaho, I spent far more days at the dropzone when I couldn't jump than when I could. I asked to learn to pack on days when the snow wouldn't quit or the sky clear. I spent whole days there and got one jump. Do I regret it? Hell no! I have had a great time listening to tales of the old days, learned from watching jumpers landing and packing and made some great new friends. I wouldn't trade those hours for anything and I am sure there is no doubt in anyone's mind that I am dedicated to learning to skydive. But I am at a time in my life when I can indulge myself and do that sort of thing. B|
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Tell your instructors that your family comes first. If they aren't cool with that tell them to piss off and find another DZ. They're on your dime (pound) and you make the time, when you have time.
Maybe take a family vacation down to Empuriabrava and go through your training there while the wife and kids play in the pool. Everyone wins, you , the family and your training.
Skydive instructors come and go. The family is always is there for you.
I hope you enjoy a long and safe skydive career.

Absoltely perfect ! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Somebody else told you that you have joined a sort of fraternity, which is true enough. You have to remember that our sport is something of a jock culture, ruled by some very strong willed types with monster egos. They also live in ghetto trailer parks and live on canned soup. And for all their skills, they often do our sport a real disservice by their hostile attitudes to new students.

On the other hand, some of them will actually respect you for standing up to them and telling them to piss off. I've got a house payment and two daughters in college and I won't take that kind of crap from anybody who tells me my average sixty jumps a year "isn't good enough" to make me "current" or safe. If you've got the 'nads to jump out of an airplane, you're able to deal with these types - or spend your cash at another dropzone.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I wouldn't say these skygods necessarily rule the sport, it's just that their (hah) "flamboyant" attitudes get them all the publicity - one way or another.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom