vanman2

Demo Program/Used equipment

Hello,
I recently recieved my A license and now need to look at equipment. My DZ in Arizona offers a demo program with a 6.5K Deposit, no monthly maintenance fee for 6 months or 100 jumps and $540 worth of gear free, jumpsuit, gearbag, , 2x goggles, helmet, helmet bag. I was told by pretty much everyone during my AFF/Coach jumps to buy used when I buy. If I wait to buy used rental for equipment/day is around $75. Is the demo program worth it? What is the average cost of a complete rig used? Any advice would be appreciated.
Paul Hardin....RIP.

The Squares (Square 1 at Perris, Square 2 at Eloy and Square 3 at X-Keys) offer a great demo program if you have no idea what you want in gear. They let you demo different size and types of canopies until you narrow your choices on what you want to buy. Used gear might be in the range of $2000-4500 depending on how new and how used the gear is that you get. The issue is that you have no idea what you want for canopy choice or even sizing. There are pros and cons to the program. If you know what you want then used gear is cheaper, if you don't have a clue and need 20-30 jumps to decide then rental fees add up. If you are a really unusual body shape (5'5" 230 lbs) then finding a used harness to fit you is going to be harder. You can pay to modify a harness but that is another $200-400 to the cost of the gear and it might be easier to get custom made new gear.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Is the demo program worth it? What is the average cost of a complete rig used? Any advice would be appreciated.

Go to the classifieds to get a ballpark on gear costs... look for prices of say a Spectre, PD Reserve, Cypres, and Vector III with low use (~500 jumps). Not saying that's exactly what you should buy, just that it's a fairly typical novice rig. Actually, that should be on the upper end of the price scale... older designs and other companies will generally be less espensive. For example, you could probably get a Sabre1, raven, Racer, and Cypres for 1/2 the price of the above, with similar amounts of use.

How does Square2's program work? you pay $6500, get 100 jumps free and then can keep it if you like it? can you swap out mains/containers a few times? how much of the deposit would you get back if you then choose to buy used?

If they let you swap out gear a bit, it's probably worth it, because it's an easy way to find the canopy you like, in the right size, and with a comfortable container. Depends on how much deposit you get back if you decide not to buy through square2 at the end of the 100 jumps.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."