Groundbound

Accident analysis

just trying to sort out the data on fatal accidents from the db above..
What would be a wild guess for the number of jumps in North America per year. I will take any reasonable guesstimate, I know we have no hard data for the denominator.

23 accidents in N.A. per yr... about one every 2 weeks.

I wonder how many non-fatal accidents there are, do these have to be reported, and is there a database for them?
Thanks

just trying to sort out the data on fatal accidents from the db above..
What would be a wild guess for the number of jumps in North America per year. I will take any reasonable guesstimate, I know we have no hard data for the denominator.

23 accidents in N.A. per yr... about one every 2 weeks.

I wonder how many non-fatal accidents there are, do these have to be reported, and is there a database for them?
Thanks

You might get a better response to your question if you fill a few things out in you profile.

Sparky

Email: [email protected]
Jump Profile
Home DZ: No home dropzone entered.
Gear
Container: No container entered.
Main Canopy: No main entered.
Reserve Canopy: No reserve entered.
AAD: No AAD entered.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You might get a better response to your question if you fill a few things out in you profile.

I don't see where a lot of people are entering their names, is this really desired and necessary?

Jump Profile
Home DZ: No home dropzone entered.
Gear
Container: No container entered.
Main Canopy: No main entered.
Reserve Canopy: No reserve entered.
AAD: No AAD entered.

I kinda thought my self describing signature below explained why I have no answers for these questions. Absolute newcomer means I have no DZ, no equipment, and I have no idea what an AAD is!
Maybe there is another forum for not-yet-jumpers to go to, in order to ask these questions?

Thanks
Dave

If you do a search or read through the forum a bit you will find this question being asked a number of times.

There, I have filled out the profile as best as I can. I did have the default "zero" jump selected but for some reason it did not appear. Let's see how "000" shows instead.

Well I did a search using the function available for 'total annual jumps' and it did not hit on anything like what I wanted, I just figured there would be a number out there that would be commonly known and that it would be easier to ask you knowlegable folks rather than go hunting,

Thanks anyway.

Nope the software does not recognize newbies!
I have faithfully entered zeros and it will not take them... it says I made no entry.

Well if anyone wants to help me but is afraid of being public about it, feel free to PM me, I am told I am a 'nice guy' (but one who is always asking questions)! :)

I think the estimate commonly given is "more than 3 million" jumps per year. So you're looking at roughly 130,000 jumps per fatal accident in the US.

There is some data on non-fatal accidents but I would suggest it is so inaccurate that it's pretty pointless trying to work with it.

There are some very basic problems with trying to go down the route I can see you're going down. There are so many variables to your risk level that looking at overall deaths/jumps data is next to meaningless.

For example, many deaths are due to people deliberately carrying out high performance maneuvers. If you don't do this, you are not at risk from dieing in that way. Thus your risk level goes down by comparison to the "national average".

Equally, you may be very uncurrent or lack the experience of other jumpers. This may cause your individual risk level to increase above the "national average". It's very difficult to tell where you lie in relation to the average figure, certainly any analysis of where you lie is a very involved consideration... thus what that national figure itself is doesn't really mean a lot to you.

Yeah to the post above.

At this point a better number for you [original poster] would be "student fatalities per student jump," which I would guess would be even harder to figure out, since the total jumps figures kicked about are likely guesses, and any student jumps figure would be a bigger guess.

In any event, any arithmetic you do that convinces you this is a safe activity is flawed. It is dangerous. We all do things to minimize the danger, but it is always there.

There are not many tandem fatalities, but all of those people are dead now.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

bmcd and mr2, Thank you for these astute observations and I appreciate your attempts to bring me up to speed with the state of the sport. If you have read my posts you will see I am the type who does a lot of research, tries to learn about things before I try them out. No way do I expect to avoid all risk. But I do try to learn what the risks are, and how to minimize them while still gaining what I want from an activity. I am a general aviation pilot so I understand about risks. We have about 600 fatalities in the US each year. I have learned why most of these fatalities occur and I have taken steps to hopefully stay out of those categories. I don't fly into thunderstorms or icing or very low weather. , I have procedures and systems in place to avoid running out of gas, I do not buzz people, etc. I want to do a lot of fun flying in my lifetime. This has worked well for me for 25 years of flying, and I hope to do the same with skydiving!

Well I did a search using the function available for 'total annual jumps' and it did not hit on anything like what I wanted, I just figured there would be a number out there that would be commonly known...

People are wary of lawyer-types lurking here looking for excuses to sue drop zones...

Click here

People are wary of lawyer-types lurking here looking for excuses to sue drop zones...

Holy crap, I get it now, I understand why y'all want a little more info before talking openly about this stuff. Let me assure you..... I HAVE NO ULTERIOR MOTIVES!!
I am not a reporter nor a producer for one of those stupid expose' TV shows, and I don't know any lawyers on a first name basis even... you can relax!!
I am just a full of questions guy who likes to know what he is getting into before he does! We are talking about jumping out of an airplane you know!!!!! Maybe some of you can do that at a flip of a hat but when its your biggest fear and your first time - well surely you understand!!
Dave (the non-vindictive, the non-lawyer, the non-reporter)

I just don't get it. Why does it matter who asks the question? If you answer it, you're answering it to the entire world, horrible lawyers and all. If you don't think the question should be answered to certain people, don't answer it for anybody (publicly). Besides, do you validate profiles before PMing this information that could cause the end of skydiving as we know it if it ends up in the wrong hands??? Come on... profiles are nice for getting to know who you're chatting with (or arguing with), but you can't rely on them for the truth so why does it matter whats in them?

Dave