Schwarztod

Breaking Down Barriers

Ok, so I've been wanting to get into skydiving as a sport for almost as long as I can remember, so I finally decided to get the ball rolling so to speak and made my first tandem jump a couple of weeks back. I can't begin to accurately describe the experience, but it fell somewhere between total exhilaration and completely paralyzing terror. The fear factor isn't something that would keep me from continuing (I think anyway), but I was just wondering if it gets any easier as you progress (especially during exit).

I plan on going through either the AFF course or the Tandem Progression/AFF course and ultimately progressing to an A license or beyond. Would it be reccomendable to make several tandem jumps before starting a course?

I have a ton of questions hence I decided to start this thread. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'd be interested in hearing how others got into the sport and what trials & obstacles they encountered along the way & how they overcame them. Fear in particular.

One question I have right off the bat is, after successfully completing the AFF course at a particular drop zone, is it possible to go to another DZ and complete A license certification or am I pretty much stuck at one DZ until I've received the license?

Thanks & looking forward to hearing some opinions/ideas.

-Glenn

The fear for me went away VERY quick, don't worry about that.

By jump 5 it started getting easier, by jump 10 I had zero anxiety, by jump 20 I would be itching to get out the door into the air. I had terrible door fear through AFF, but now I love climbing out and hanging off the strut enjoying the prop blast.

Now the fear is starting to come back, buta healthy fear of REAL danger... not some sickening anxiety for no reason.

Start your training asap, go sign up for AFF ;)

And to be the first person who actually answers your question ... you should be able to change dropzones after you finish AFF, before getting your license.

Depending on how many jumps you have, how long between jumps, where you did your AFF, and where you plan to do your license, they may require you to do your level 7 jump over again and re-clear you to self-supervise at that particular DZ. Or, they might simply trust your log book and send you up solo.

The best bet is to call the DZs you plan to use while finishing up your license requirements, and see what they say.
Brian

One question I have right off the bat is, after successfully completing the AFF course at a particular drop zone, is it possible to go to another DZ and complete A license certification or am I pretty much stuck at one DZ until I've received the license?

Can you? Probably. That's up to the DZ you want to visit, and how they run their student program.

My advice is to try to do as much a you can initially with the same group of instructors, they'll probably have a better idea of your progress and be better prepared to help you along the way.

There's nothing really wrong with checking out new places though, it's just far easier to do with an "A', and 25 jumps goes quick!:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The reason I ask about switching DZs is that I got a great offer on AFF at one DZ, but the other DZ in my area has an A license package which sounds really nice. I'm still trying to work out the particulars. Cash is not exactly in abundance these days, so every little bit helps. I liked both of them (though they seemed not to think too highly of one another ha ha). It does make alot of sense to stick to one DZ during training though.

I think I will try a second tandem though before signing up for a course. The first one went pretty badly actually.... well, not as good as I had hoped. I was literally paralyzed with fear and couldn't really enjoy myself fully (though I obviously did to some extent). There are alot of things I would like to do differently, such as look up instead of straight down at the ground during the entire freefall ha ha ha ;)

One of the reasons I think I was so edgy that day was that there was a fatality only several weeks prior at that very same DZ. It was pretty big news around here.

By the way, do earplugs help at all?

Also, after you get a license, how often do you have to jump to remain current?

Thanks for all your replies btw!

Is that "A" license package a "post AFF" thing, or an all inclusive thing.

The way to get over the irrational fear is become educated about it.

Worried about the previous fatality? Find out all you can about it, and how you can avoid the same mistakes.

Undecided about where to learn? Go and meet with the staff, see who makes you feel more comfortable, and who is more suited to your learning style.

Ear plugs help with sound only, not pressure.

Also, after you get a license, how often do you have to jump to remain current?

I could answer that, or I could point you towards this document and suggest you start hitting the books!:)http://uspa.org/SIM.aspx
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

i started right off with aff. cant remember the first jump, altough i did as i was told to. i got really terrified on #2 and #3. almost chickened out then. having great instructors that just pushed me to the door helped a lot! :D

oh, and the first solo was interesting too. coming down right over the restaurant made for some interesting thoughts.. but all went according to plan.

do it, its great! :D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The fear for me went away VERY quick, don't worry about that.

By jump 5 it started getting easier, by jump 10 I had zero anxiety, by jump 20 I would be itching to get out the door into the air. I had terrible door fear through AFF, but now I love climbing out and hanging off the strut enjoying the prop blast.

Now the fear is starting to come back, buta healthy fear of REAL danger... not some sickening anxiety for no reason.

Start your training asap, go sign up for AFF ;)

This is what I need to hear! Thanks!

Enjoy the fear while it last. I'm not afraid anymore and treat each jump as a series of tasks the need to be accomplished. Somethimes I have to take a step back on a bad day and remind myself that Im doing this for fun.

Oh it didn't go away. It's just hiding until the time is right:ph34r:

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Is that "A" license package a "post AFF" thing, or an all inclusive thing.

It is an all-inclusive package.

Worried about the previous fatality? Find out all you can about it, and how you can avoid the same mistakes.

Not really worried per se, but it was an eerie feeling all the same. No one knows exactly what happened, but in short there was a main malfunction and he failed to deploy his reserve in time.

I'll probably check out the other DZ on my 2nd tandem just to feel them out. I was there as an observer several months ago. Though I didn't get to meet many instructors, I liked the general feel of the place.

Thanks for the link! I found it very helpful.