jephprospect

back problems from skydiving?

Hey folks,

I'm a newbie just graduated AFF and have 18 under my belt. I've had days where my back hurt but only lasted an hour or so. This weekend I got 9 jumps in, felt fine, then 2 days later it hurt so bad I can barley walk. Is this normal? are there exercises I can do to prevent this?

I was sore as hell after my first tandem. I'm so freaking out of shape!

I keep a few bottles of Aleve, Tylenol and Advil in the bag I take to the DZ. I take Aleve in the morning before I jump and then again that night.

Yesterday morning it was a little hard to get out of bed I was so sore (probably from my ass slide landing) but I actually laughed because I was so pathetic.

Maybe you can get a quick check up from your doctor or maybe head to a chiropractor was an adjustment, then jump and see how you feel?

BTW - At the DZ I saw a guy stretching the other morning, now I know why. ;)

Always be kinder than you feel.

Hi jep,
Think about it? You are doing things to your body Skydiving that momanature never intended! We are "ground bound bi-peds" that havn't been bi-peds that long-in the evolutionary sense. Our backs and ankles take a beating at this "Sport" I wonder why?? If your back hurts a little, have it checked out. Work out, go to the gym, be careful and don't break anything!! Be glad you didn't pound in under a beat up 28' C-9 7-TU!! Combat boots and good PLF's were NECESSARY!!" not optional back when!! 'Just love the nice slide my sneakers accross the turf under my Stiletto 190!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Are you sliding your landings in on your butt like a tandem? If so, then you could be bouncing on your butt and compressing your spine.

Beyond that I stretch and go to my chiropractor every couple of months. That's more from the accident I was in about 4 years ago then skydiving. Being a TI doesn't help, but neither does the strain that competitive swooping puts on the body either.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

im still very new, but i think its the arch, an instructor at the wind tunnel showed me a few things and stretches that have helped. i actually spend about 10 minutes a night on the adumen practicing the arch. mainly for muscle memory, but also for stretching purposes. ive been doing his stretches and they seem to help alot.

Another crappy spot is that i work on cars, so im in the exact opposite position all day working under a hood, so stretching really seems to help