justintime1983

Stupid things you have done to go skydiving?

By the time many people are financially stable (say, late 20s - early 30s), they're often married, with demanding careers, mortgages, and children to support and stay alive & healthy for. Tough stage of life in which to be a skydiver. Being old enough to skydive, and still young enough to be responsible for nobody else but yourself, is often one brief, single window of time in a person's life. And then it's gone. Now I, too, have told people "The sky will always be there." But will it necessarily be there for them? Well, who knows? Some people have the health, finances and opportunity to skydive once their kids are older; others don't.

I don't believe in reincarnation. One go at life; that's it. I don't envision many people on the proverbial death-bed saying, "I wish I'd kept my nose to the grindstone more." But I can envision people saying, "I wish I'd taken more time to truly enjoy life when I had the chance."

Well. I know this all to well. I graduated high school early (for the purpose of going in the Marines). I went in the Marines on March 9th 2000. That just wasn't for me, so I got out. Then I left for college 650 miles away in Tampa Bay and was there for about 1 year. By leaving I made a lot of finance mistakes. I broke a lease and did a lot of other things I shouldn't have. So therefore, by leaving because I didn't have a lot of money I caused even more finance problems for myself.

For 7 years I had terrible credit. For years I couldn't even get a check card to use from my bank. Eventually I did. Now I only have two bad marks on my credit and two good marks. All the bad stuff will be off by March of 2009 which I'm happy about.

For the past 7+ years I searched for a job and tried to get into the information technology profession. Which I eventually did and worked three different jobs. Eventually I got a great job at Emerson for 2 years then I lost that due to the overseas crap.

So for years after college I struggled violently to get on my feet. While I had the job at Emerson I had moved out and was pretty happy with how my life was going. It was improving. Now I'm back with my parents, I'm 26 and don't have a job. My unemployment will end soon and I'll have no income.

I tried to give this area a chance for 8 years and if I continue doing that I know it will be trouble for me. There just are no jobs here and I have to make a decision quick. I'm changing careers and going back to college in Orlando this time for a bachelors in Film. Something I've been interested in since I was old enough to watch TV.

While I had that excellent two year job with Emerson I eventually got into skydiving and was hard core into it. I was there every weekend for probably at least a year. I still love it and I'll never permanently quit, but I've got to take care of myself and put it on the back burner.

Life can be harsh. I've had it pretty bad, but the fact is there are plenty of people out there that don't get to eat for days at a time. I've made my mistakes in life and I'm hoping that God gives me one more.

The sky will always be there for sure, but I'm a little afraid of what time will do to the skydiving world. Especially with the gas problems. When I was in High School 8 years ago, gas was 0.89 cents in South Carolina. Now it's $4.00. Jump tickets will eventually go up. That's a fact. And I'm not sure what else may hurt us in the future. Hopefully the opportunity will still be there when I'm back on my feet. It really is an extreme passion of mine, but I have other passion and aspirations that I've got to think about.

I'm just glad that I am licensed and experience now and if I move to Florida (and wherever I get a job after that) I'll have the ability to jump at any of the many drop zones near Orlando. I just hope I have the chance and maybe if I'm lucky I'll get to keep my gear so I don't have to spend $60 just to jump.

One of the best things to ever happen to me is to have had the chance to be a part of this sport. Not a lot of good chances like that have come along in my life. I'll be a skydiver until I'm in my death bed whether I'm actively jumping till then or not.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

A lot of folks want to jump but AFF is so expensive. Try IAd or SL. You can make jumps and house payments at the same time.

Definitely. There's no way I could have afforded AFF while I was in college. I was fortunate to start jumping at a club that offered static line, so I could pay both the rent and for jumps with my part time job.

Damn straight, we need a DZ in Nashville. I wonder if that DZ in Kentucky is gonna get a plane for the winter so us music city people can make a short drive and go jumpin'. It really eats into jump tickets when you pay 150 just in gasoline.

of course, the answer to that is ditch the marriage and live at the DZ....:)...NOT!!!!

I have been hearing " the plane is comming" from that place for YEARS! will belive it when I see it on the ground AFTER is 1st load
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .