ifell

Heli hop & pop

Ok so if you jump from a heli or balloon does it take the same time to reach max freefall speed? Since you don't get the initial blast I guess it would affect fall rate? Since I won't be going much more than 5k I figure it would be important info!

Oh and could we keep the bitching about who said what to a minimum please... Really, no one cares!

Ok so if you jump from a heli or balloon does it take the same time to reach max freefall speed? Since you don't get the initial blast I guess it would affect fall rate? Since I won't be going much more than 5k I figure it would be important info!

Oh and could we keep the bitching about who said what to a minimum please... Really, no one cares!

Your vertical speed profile won't change at all. Its that age old physics question of throwing a rock strictly horizontally, and dropping one from the same height at the same moment. They will both hit the ground at the same time.

if you really want to get technical the only difference is the fact that you dont have that 90+ mph foreword momentum and then transitioning to full downward acceleration untill terminal velocity which would really only really be a change of like 30 mph.
when you jump from a helo you start at 0 mph or would like to start at 0 mph so when you let go you really feel the 9.8 meters per second per second(yes i did mean to put per second twice) acceleration until you hit terminal velocity at (and im not sure about this as i really dont want to do the math right now) about 600-800 feet past your release point i would say but i could be wrong about that and then the rest is like a normal jump. but it is that first few seconds when you are acelerating that are apparently the best

Its just that going for my A I learned that it takes 12seconds to reach max speed, which is around 1500' so I figure it would be good to know since I thought jumping from an airplane you are already in the wind but heli/balloon there is no resistance for the initial part of it so I thought that would have an affect on the jump... Other than making it more fun

Someday I will do a heli-jump. From speaking to a commercial helicopter pilot who was jumping at my DZ even people moving around in the AC requires pilot adjustments. He says it's like balancing the AC on a pointy cushion of air and anything extreme will severely upset it.

More than once people have mentioned the importance of falling out rather than launching out. If a commercial pilot says this I'd be more inclined to believe that than someone on the interweb who may or may not even have his private license.

-Michael

The whole reason I was asking this is because there is a Heli pilot school like 5 minutes from where I live so I emailed them about doing some heli jumps in the huge feilds just by their hanger... hopefully one of the pilots there will respond to the email in a positive fashion! I might be broke by the time spring comes around but who cares if heli is more fun than airplanes then I won't need to drive an hour to and from the DZ. I might also get to jump all winter long if this works out!