Deisel

Best way to improve canopy skills?

[off topic]

Groundlaunching is the cool thing to be doing now, :S and since it's unregulated, lower time pilots think they can get into it a lot easier than swooping.

However, the message that those of us that are doing it should be very clear:

1) Groundlaunching is not the place to build canopy skills to take to skydiving.

2) Groundlaunching must be done under expert tuition.

3) Skydiving piloting isn't the only knowledge to need to safely launch off hills / mountains.

& 4) Being hurt and alone on a mountain is a miserable way to die. Get good at piloting first, then learn to fly off stuff.

First off I wasn't flaming you, I just don't understand your reasoning but to each there own. The problem is someone that admittedly doesnt have canopy skills posted here to get some solid advice and help and you suggested they try a really dangerous activity that involves a lot more factors for risk. You corrected yourself in your second post and said someone needs to have the experience and know what they are doing....which just reflects my originals thoughts that this little tangent shouldnt have been in this topic in the first place.

On a side note I have nothing against ground launching and would love to try it. Unfortunately Ohio doesnt have the best terrain.

Ok, my bad. Maybe I spoke out of place in my first post regarding GL. I should have either been more clear or just not posted here. I guess people interprate learning GL differently. To me, it's learning how to kite your canopy until you feel comfortable trying to fly down an incline with no obsticles. There's a difference in learning the right way and learning the wrong way and a huge difference in the hill I was learning on and the stuff you see in the videos.
Here's a couple pics of what I think a good learning hills is. Please correct me if I am wrong, but with mild wind, somone experienced to help, and 100+ jumps under your belt, I really don't see a problem.
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.