SimpleJack

Skydiving in a dying state?

We need a "Tony Hawk" and a Skydiving video game. USPA membership will skyrocket.

Agreed completely! People I know look at me like I'm a freak for making one tandem so far. (AFF in the spring, too far away! [:/]). It's not been engrained in the mainstream yet, and in a way I'd kind of like to keep it that way. I like being known at the office as the guy that jumped out of an airplane. Who knows, a video game would be nice though...

Your balls are in a dying stste...:S

I'm smilin', I'm bein' nice and I'm enjoying the hell out of your avatar.
:)
edited to add: Before he changes it, it's a long-legged brunette in a thong and white stockings bending over.
Beat you too it, dude, before you changed it to some weird freak wino or something.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

the 3 things that are killing this sport are tandems, high wing loading, and the lost art of the fun jump. I am sure that if I was a kid 10 years ago there is no way I would still be jumping. but I am stuck in a sport that I dont like very much any more, and I aint no quitter. and I have 800 round canopy jumps at an average body weight of 220+ to prove it( yeah my joints make a lot of ugly noises). TANDEMS are a carnival ride not a skydive, self presevation is what got me hooked, and made we want to be better, and be like the cool guys (I was 16). HIGH WING LOADING. everytime I read about another bozo killing or hurting another skydiver under canopy I want climb a clock tower with a sniper rifle. what happened to the good old days when it was very hard to kill sombody besides yourself. for 25 years I was never nervous in the patern unless the wind was 25+ mph or I was landing in someones back yard for fun. now I try to worm my way into the last to exit position. LOST ART OF THE FUN JUMP. what happened to "hey the wind is picking up hard anyone up for a $5 closest to the frisbie load" or "who want to do a horny gorilla" every time I here a group of "junior sky gods" talking about the new 65 sq ft. main, or worse yet a group of "free fly snobs" I just shake my head and remember how much fun it used to be to just plain let go of an airplane. 35 years later its still fun to let go, but the dropzone sucks. just like the parafoil killed acuracy, the tandem and high wingloading is killing the dropzone.

>the 3 things that are killing this sport are tandems, high wing loading, and the lost
>art of the fun jump.

. . . and those damn kids who won't stay off the lawn.

>just like the parafoil killed acuracy, the tandem and high wingloading is killing the dropzone.

I know people who jump because of high wingloadings, and I know people who are in the sport because of tandems. I'm not like that, but it doesn't mean that they're not "real skydivers" or "are killing the sport."

>what happened to "hey the wind is picking up hard anyone up for a $5 closest to
>the frisbie load" . . .

People got a bit smarter! If it's too windy to do RW, it's too windy for accuracy.

>or "who want to do a horny gorilla" . . . .

That's become "who wants to do a 4 way and then bootie fly." Not much different.

>every time I here a group of "junior sky gods" talking about the new 65 sq ft. main,
>or worse yet a group of "free fly snobs" . . .

Go back 20 years and some senior guy on the DZ would be complaining about "all these people jumping these deathtrap PD190's" and "those gay, useless booties."

>I just shake my head and remember how much fun it used to be to just plain let
>go of an airplane.

Fortunately, you can still do that - and a great many do.

I just shake my head and remember how much fun it used to be to just plain let go of an airplane. 35 years later its still fun to let go, but the dropzone sucks. just like the parafoil killed acuracy, the tandem and high wingloading is killing the dropzone.

And what's with all the PINK shit! ;)

I hear ya 'Ziller', it'll never be the way it was...but there is both good & bad in that.

Try to keep lookin' at the glass 1/2 full~ The gear is safer, the planes faster and there are a whole lot more skychicks to ogle these days! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

after I read my post, I said omg you have turned into the old fart. I still feel like a kid, I live on a sailboat, I surf 100 days a year. I am up for anything that involves 12500, but I honestly dont have as much fun at the DZ anymore. the DZ used to be Fun, somehow it got to serious for me. as far as the wingloading thing goes... would you want you children to learn at a dropzone without 2 very separate landing areas?

would you want you children to learn at a dropzone without 2 very separate landing areas?

MY KIDS?? :S

I'd let 'em B.A.S.E. jump in high winds...;):ph34r:

But seriously fellow old fart...:)

~It's still fun for me, it helps keep ya young, I do know I probably wouldn't be still jumping if it had been all on the ole 24' Pap these past 33 years! :)
The sport moving forward is an amazing thing, i can't wait to see what they come up with NEXT! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>and those damn kids wont stay off the lawn.
trust me bill thats not me. I have spent most of my adult life "voted most likely to get naked and do something stupid" I love this sport, through good times and bad. but the bonfire doesnt burn as often. The tandem mill is an obsticle, and the swooper wannabees are just plain pissing me off. its not like the low pull artists of olden days, we just laughed at them because they were only going to kill themselves. I dont know anyone who has more fun skydiving than I do, I am just saying the DZ dynamic has changed, and for me its just not as much fun as it used to be.:P

"junior sky gods" talking about the new 65 sq ft. main

because they were only going to kill themselves

I quoted these together to emphasize that while back in the day, pulling low was gonna kill the silly skydivers, swooping is killing today's skydivers :(