Megatron

Packing an isolated canopy

IMHO I would agree with the other posters that packing the chute in the d bag is the most difficult part of the pack job, and the one that I needed the most practice at before I even started to "get it". Until you actually have the gear that you will be packing into, I don't know how much extra good that will be for you.. as it seems that you will be doing a lot of practice as soon as you do get it. Not saying that learing/practicing the flaking... slider quartering.. (all the pre packing of the d bag steps) etc would be a bad thing.. but again, sounds like you are'nt going to have any procrastinative tendencies that will keep you from practicing when you do get your rig. What ever you choose... blue skies.. enjoy your new rig!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Buy your main and a "throwaway" rig (i.e. something really old and not FF-friendly, but safe and legal). Then you can practice packing all you want, jump it, learn more, stay current, and probably sell that "throwaway" rig for what negligible amount you paid for it at the end.

Ask around at your DZ. Someone might have an old closet queen that they'll let you use for awhile. Or give Spaceland & SD Houston a call; they probably has some older rigs that are taking up space.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)