HardCorr

Canopy direction after opening

I just recently completed my FJC but have yet to do my first few student jumps. I'm so excited and anxious!!! One of the things that I wanted to review is canopy work. Once I pull and count to 5 and make sure I'm fully open, I release brakes, do a brake/stall check, full 360 right and full 360 left turns. After this, I forgot what to do up until around 1500 feet when I start my approach leg. I understand I need to stay upwind of the dropzone, look for alternate landing areas just in case I get blown off course, and make sure I'm always checking my altitude but what else should I be looking for? Also, is there a general altitude where the upper winds usually change to the lower winds? The canopy part scares me the most out of the whole jump!!!
The key to being a good teacher, is to be a good listener...

Ditto what Feeblemind said - ask your instructors. There are a whole series of canopy control skills on the USPA A License proficiency card - you will work with your instructors to decide which ones you do at what point in your progression.

Also, chances are that you will be on radio for at least your first few jumps, so you'll be receiving instruction on what to do under canopy.

Most of all, have fun!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Remeber to have fun and smile. Also look around for other canopies. Even if you know you're the only one in the sky, look around anyway. Drill it in your mind to always look around for other things in the sky with ya.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

You pretty much said what your going to do, and your correct.
After your controllability check, find your landing area and wind direction, stay up winding of your check point 1 and look for other canopies all the time.
You can practice flaring your canopy and feel the air go still when it is stopped. You can also use this feeling when you come in to land.

Ask your Instructor these questions BEFORE you jump though. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Also, chances are that you will be on radio for at least your first few jumps, so you'll be receiving instruction on what to do under canopy.

Although it's important to remember the radio is just a backup and therefore it may fail. You should therefore be prepared to fly your canopy on your own if necessary. Some people even fail to hear talkdown when it's working properly - they just zone it out! Maybe I just have a boring voice :P

If you are unsure about canopy control or any other part of your skydive ask your instructors.

That said, it sounds from your first post that you have remembered the key parts of your canopy control and flight pattern. We generally tell our students to use the time down to 2000 feet to play with their canopy, practice turns, flares etc while remaining in their play area and keeping an eye out for canopies etc. Then from 2000 feet concentrate on arriving at the start of your pattern at 1500. Your instructors can give you a lot of tips for things you can practice in your play area, and it's never too soon to start learning how to control your canopy!

Hope you enjoy it,

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

>After this, I forgot what to do up until around 1500 feet

I think at this very early stage you should start learning
how to think ahead.

By that I mean keep asking yourself questions like:

- If I keep going like I'm going now where will I land?

- Where's the beginning, the "onramp" to my landing pattern?

- What do I do between now and later to get there?

You won't know the answers but keeping those questions
in mind while making jumps and gathering experience
will help you start to learn.

Along with this is to remember that canopies fly really
fast and other people seem to appear out of nowhere,
so keep your scan going rather than fixating on any one
thing.

>The canopy part scares me the most out of the whole jump!!!

Good! :-) :-)

The canopy phase is a complex situation with a lot of
factors and it takes a couple hundred jumps worth of
persistent effort and attention to start sorting it out.

Here's something I wrote once for new jumpers called
Wings Level

http://indra.net/~bdaniels/ftw/c_wings_level.html

The physics and psychology of learning and toggle
techniques and large scale thinking for canopy flying
are the same everywhere, but local customs and situations
vary so latch on to a couple instructors you feel comfortable
with and learn from them.

Skr

I really enjoyed reading about the "Wings level" approach to canopy control. It was a lot to take in but I definetly got the jist of it. You brought a good question about that I didn't think about and I really need to find out before I land.

- Where's the beginning, the "onramp" to my landing pattern? -

Understandably, there is no exact point in which you have to be at. Different canopies are going to fly at faster or slower speeds depending on the lovely unpredictable winds that we all fly in however come 1200-1500 feet you really need to start your approach leg of your landing. Now, are you typically going to be starting your approach leg as soon as you reach your approach altitude (approx 1200-1500) and possibly spotting a different landing area than you expected to land at? Or do you continue to fly towards your pre-planned target and start your approach leg at a lower altitude? Better yet, what is the typical altitude that you need to make the final decision to either turn for your final leg or just ride out the canopy and land wherever the wind takes you? -Again, I understand that canopy size will vary this answer so I'm going to throw out a canopy size of about 210.-

Ryan
The key to being a good teacher, is to be a good listener...