Tuna-Salad

Questioning my sanity

what's a 100 jump wonder?

A new jumper who has reached the 100-jump experience level, and thinks he knows it all, when in fact he really knows very little. They are a dangerous sub-species, both to themselves, and to others.

However they ARE a valuable source of entertainment.....and free :D !

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A new jumper who has reached the 100-jump experience level, and thinks he knows it all, when in fact he really knows very little. They are a dangerous sub-species, both to themselves, and to others.

However they ARE a valuable source of entertainment.....and free :D !

haha thanks, im pretty sure i bought beer for all 80 of my jumps over the summer, pretty much did something new on every jump....and hey everyone likes beer right B|
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

yeah, when everybody knows ultimate wisdom comes @ 500 jumps :P

So, if any of you ppl have questions, just come to me okay.

Alrighty so after I got the title 100 jump wonder, I started thinking to myself stuff like "you did it 100 times and got away with it why keep pushing limits" I jumped yesterday and was thinking to myself "what the fuck am I doing here? am I really going to do this again" Paul at Zhills said the door monster would come back.. is this what he meant?
I think im more afraid of having my first malfunction, and with my luck it will likely be the worst case scenario, 2 canopies out + horse shoe or something. Is this normal? Do people with thousands of jumps ask themselves why they do it sometimes? Oh I also had a dream yesterday that I had line twists from my head up to the canopy and managed a stand up landing after determining I was too low for a cutaway. Am I losing my mind?

Uhhh.....dude i think you lost your mind when you first stepped into whatever plane it is your jumping from with a rig on!! :S
Wanna Hug It Out, Lets Hug It Out..Bitch!

Alrighty so after I got the title 100 jump wonder, I started thinking to myself stuff like "you did it 100 times and got away with it why keep pushing limits" I jumped yesterday and was thinking to myself "what the fuck am I doing here? am I really going to do this again" Paul at Zhills said the door monster would come back.. is this what he meant?
I think im more afraid of having my first malfunction, and with my luck it will likely be the worst case scenario, 2 canopies out + horse shoe or something. Is this normal? Do people with thousands of jumps ask themselves why they do it sometimes? Oh I also had a dream yesterday that I had line twists from my head up to the canopy and managed a stand up landing after determining I was too low for a cutaway. Am I losing my mind?

why questioning your sanity. everyone knows that would be unfair. for the sanity.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Hi! Although I only have a mere 8 jumps, I HAVE had one messed-up opening, and had to clear several things at once; line twists, brake fire, etc.

I think that when they ask you in the plane, "Are you READY to skydive?", what that means is really; "Are you ready to deal with whatever happens once you go out that door?"

Good training, controlled excitement, and a prepared mindset can mitigate a lot of those fears. Since I was still in AFF training, i knew what line twists were and how to try and untangle them (did), managed to corral the errant toggle flying about, relocated the DZ, and flew it all back. It was probably the best thing - now, I WANT my minute of so in the airstream, but am ALWAYS alert to to my EPs on the side.

Stuff happens, but equipment, training, retraining, and common sense can offest most of your fears. Is it dangerous? Yep. But what isn't?

Is it rewarding? YES! And way moreso than driving down the highway close to hundreds of others!

Lastly, is it FUN? If the answer is no, then maybe another land-based sport is better. If it is yes, then you need to regroup your training and your head and continue on!

Blue Skies, and Safe Landings Always,

SkyPainter
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

I hear what you're saying. I'm sort of going through the same thing right now, not because of me, but because I have an 8 month year old daughter.

I love the sport, but when I start thinking of things that can go wrong I get really conservative. Haven't jumped for about seven weeks, mainly due to 10 degree weather that I can't get motivated for... but still, during that 7 weeks time there is a heck of a lot of reward watching the little one progress, crawl around and laugh and start to stand on her own. Couldn't bear not seeing that stuff should something go wrong during a skydive. Makes me wonder if the risk is worth the reward.

But then again, skydiving is fun too and is a huge part of my life, is one of my greatest passions and I hope to make a tandem with my girl when she is 18. So ... I know what you're feeling.

Jordan
I'm like a chocolate covered pretzel...I might be kind of melty but dang, I'm exquisite!

I think the second I stop questioning just what it is I’m doing jumping out of airplanes, that its time to question My sanity. I know for me the love and passion I feel for the sport still outweighs the risk. For me its Arch, Look, Reach, Red, Silver, Arch. Once on the way to the dropzone. Several times while gearing up and just before exit. On jump 80 I got to try it hands on and it was almost a right of passage for me. Seeing just how I would react and I did good. I expect a malfunction on every jump, and talk through possible scenarios with others on the ground. I like the fact that Skydiving has a way of bringing out peoples true colors. There is still a lot that I don’t know but I make it a point to learn all that I can. With a lot of knowledge and a little luck I hope to still be jumping when im as old as some of these POPS members who are always hogging up the forums.;)

I had two out on my tenth jump. I think shit just happens. If you wanna go by statistics (I doubt anyone would do this if it weren't for them) I should be good for a long time now but I still get antsy every time I pull.

Now, I only have 14 jumps so I'm sure I'd be antsy even without that mal but I think my point is just do it!

Malfunctions happen and hopefully you've got a clear head and the time to clear it.

Big brave words from a small fish, I know, I know... ;)

Hmm,
I have these dreams all the time. I never actually get hurt (or finish the dream to see the hurting part) but everyone single one of them something is going wrong. My favorites are where shit goes wrong that can't (foreseeably) happen. For example the latest one when i had a total mal and was pulling on the silver and my hand with the D and the cord was as far out as possible and the reserve just wasn't coming out (like those magic tricks when you keep pulling on the rope and it jsut keeps going and going).

As for thinking why, i get my answer right after i leave the plane. Its kind of like going to a party when you really dont feel like it, then you get there and get happy and stupid, and suddenly you know why you did it.
or not
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

do people use the term 50 jump wonder?

Only if the chances of making it to 100 appear dismal.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

do people use the term 50 jump wonder?

Only if the chances of making it to 100 appear dismal.

i was being referred to as 200-jump-jockey how are the chances of those to make it!? B|

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda