pojj

landing injuiries

I twisted my ankles landing in my jump number 16, and it was 100%, completely my fault. I didnt keep my knees bent, so I didn't roll into a PLF.

Did it hurt. yeah, did I learn a valuable lesson, heck yeah! Keep those knees bent, and PLF! :)

Go, take your first jump, you will be HOOKED!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

No matter what canopy you have and no matter how good a jumper you are, if you jump long enough, you will end up with some minor injuries. Maybe you'll be lucky and jump for 10 years without ever going to the hospital for a serious one, but the human body simply isn't designed to skydive and all the little rips and tears will eventually add up.

As for specifically getting a sprained ankle, you can do that easily landing anything just by stepping in a gopher hole. If you're lucky all you'll get is a sprain, a break is not unheard of.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

regarding injuries with larger canopys compared to high performance canopys,are you more likely to snap an ankle on high performance canopys are most of landing injuries stem from above intermediate canopys..:D

Canopies don't hurt people, people hurt people. ;)

It's not about the size as much as other factors that will be thoroughly covered during your learning experience at the dropzone.

You will not be permitted to jump a high performance canopy anytime soon, and you'll quickly learn how to understand what makes a high performance canopy vs a low/moderate performance canopy. Computing wingloading is part of the student process.

[edit=Quade said it better.

After reading these reply's I realize that I a lucky to not have broken an ankle. I learned a lot fro my mistake, and I can not WAIT to gt back in the air!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

thanks for your input..cheers,hav you had any injuries since starting??im thinking of takeing up the sport

If you really want to then just do it ! ! !

(and stop dwelling so much on the injury aspect) :P

Landing injuries usually come from mistakes in judgment by the canopy pilot. Turns too close to the ground, flaring way too high or too late, turbulence from landing too close to an obstacle, showing off.

just by stepping in a gopher hole. If you're lucky all you'll get is a sprain, a break is not unheard of.

I broke my ankle on a 190 stepping in a gopher hole landing :S

I broke my ankle on a 210 loaded ~1:1, no holes involved... just a surge.B|

"Surge"! Is that your excuse?

:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.