bigG

Skydiving Gear Insurance

Does anyone know what sort of Insurance will cover skydiving gear against theft, damage or in case you were to loose your main or reserve p/chute after a cut away?

If it helps I live in Florida and rent my place.

Thanks in advance.

G.

P.S. I tried searching the forums before posting this.

If you have renters insurance, call and ask. I know State Farm will insure your gear if you have them for homeowners insurance. (I've been meaning to call them, dammit.) But, a friend at the DZ has his gear insured, so if he has a cutaway an loses the main, he only has to pay a deductible. Not sure about theft.

Edited to add....

Read Scrumpots Post #27 here

When I rented, I had rental insurance and listed all my rigs on the policy. I now own a house, and I have insurance with all my rigs on the policy. Not to mention all the other expensive play toys I have.
If you have rental insurance, I hope you listed it. If not, talk to your agent. You could always lie and say the stuff was in your car and it got stolen. But then that would involve having to file a police report and I wouldn't feel comfortable tell the police a lie. Bad karma.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yeah...I am gona get insurance for sure now. Will they also cover my camera and camera helmet?

...cause that would be the last thing in this world I would ever want to cut away...

thanks for info everyone...

G.

P.S. Any suggestions about which company to go with? State Farm is one..anyother?

got mine through Allstate, and they did not require me to send them a list of my crap...they ask me to total it all up, and insure the value...it's kind of an 'on your honor' type thing....btw, i pay $100 a year and my camera and camera helmet are covered!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Any suggestions about which company to go with?

I have Allstate, and it's not too expensive. It will depend on the size of your place. Be sure to list your expensive items, and take pictures too.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Does you insurance cover your gear if you lose it during a cutaway or if it is damaged while skydiving, or does the coverage only apply to theft from your apartment/car, fire, etc?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Cutaway loss is not covered by renters insurance.

There are 16 causes of loss that an insurance company has (mine is some company via Geico). And a cutaway does not fall under any one of them. Stuff like a lightning strike or a steam from the kettle is a good reason. Releasing your malfunctioning main canopy to save your life is not.

If you want to have protection for gear loss as a result of a cutaway, MAKE SURE you find out if your company provides it. CLEARLY explain to them what the scenario of a cutaway is and how it goes. Then try to get it in writing. Otherwise, if you think any renters insurance covers gear loss after a cutaway, you will be in for a surprise when you try to file a claim.

Does anyone know what sort of Insurance will cover skydiving gear against theft, damage or in case you were to loose your main or reserve p/chute after a cut away?

As other people have pointed out, it's a standard thing for renter's and home-owner's insurance.

Two caveats to watch out for:

1. Some policies put a limit on "off-premesis coverage" as a percentage of your total contents coverage. IIRC, mine was 10% so I needed to buy $50K worth of coverage to have insurance on $5K of sporting gear outside my home.

2. Standard policies are usually for a depreciated value that may not replace what you lost. You want a replacement value rider.

If it helps I live in Florida and rent my place.

Thanks in advance.

G.

P.S. I tried searching the forums before posting this.