Isaiah_4031

Good loner hobby?

LOL! The surest cure for 'loner-dom' is skydiving. It turned me from a completely socially incompetent shy mousy little thing into a post whore on here and a chatterbox in person (unless I'm in a tandem harness... that shuts me up pretty quick. Tandems scare me)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I was just trying to find a new hobby that would really get me excited and I was looking at this. But I don't know, I'm kind of a loner and it seems like it would be awkward alone. I don't know anyone remotely interested in skydiving and I'm having a hard time finding anything else that would interest me as a new hobby.

If you go out to the DZ(s) regularly, you'll likely find enough of a social scene regardless. If your inclination or available time means you go out less, you might find your interest wanes after 100 jumps. But even if it does, it's still a great 100 jumps.

So go do your AFF-1 (or whatever method), and worry about that problem later.

You can technically skydive alone, but it gets really boring and unfulfilling.

If you want to break into the social circle at a dropzone, you really have to be there every weekend. You can’t just stroll in once a month and expect people to acknowledge you.

People will jump with you if they think you are serious about the sport and not just a tourist. Showing up randomly and only doing 40 jumps per year is a surefire guarantee to becoming a loner at the dropzone.

If you can’t afford or don’t want to jump that often, I highly recommend bringing your own friends with you. They don’t have to jump but they can provide you with a lot of moral support. Bringing friends with you also helps you to avoid the dropzone politics.

People will jump with you if they think you are serious about the sport and not just a tourist. Showing up randomly and only doing 40 jumps per year is a surefire guarantee to becoming a loner at the dropzone.

No problem doing that at a small/club DZ.

We have a single Cessna 182 that only operates on weekends and I would say the majority of the jumpers do sub-50 a year and everyone remains VERY close friends.

No problem doing that at a small/club DZ.

We have a single Cessna 182 that only operates on weekends and I would say the majority of the jumpers do sub-50 a year and everyone remains VERY close friends.

It's more about the people. There are those who do no jumps a year and are still out there a lot and very socialable people. If you tend to the private side and aren't out too often, the regulars tend to be friendly still, but not so close.