shah269

n00b goes shopping...your thoughs

Ground class is this upcoming Friday. And I'll start my supervised jumps that evening, already had 3 tandems

Head gear-Ski helmet (light weight and I don't see any snag points, but will ask instructor).

Eye protection - no clue..I wear contacts...need one. What do you think of this?

http://www.baddogservices.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_184&products_id=651

Altimeter-? No clue...need one. The LZ has one but was told I should keep my eyes open.
http://www.baddogservices.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=775

Your thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know of some one selling gear please feel free to post their classified add.

Thanks in advance
Shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Make some jumps. As you progress through your student program you will see what they are using and be able to ask the instructors/jumpers onsite about what will suit you best.

Roger! I'll hold off for the altimeter then. But how about the eye protection? Recommendations?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Make some jumps. As you progress through your student program you will see what they are using and be able to ask the instructors/jumpers onsite about what will suit you best.

Roger! I'll hold off for the altimeter then. But how about the eye protection? Recommendations?

If I were you, I'd hold off on buying anything yet.

That being said, I've found those goggles you linked to are great with contacts. I bought mine on ebay, though. I got 3 pair (tinted, amber, and clear) for 15 bucks.

As others have said, wait to buy any gear until later. You'll get much more benefit from using that money to do more jumps than you will from the equipment. You only get 60 seconds (give or take a few) to practice each time plus you have down time in between jumps so the more jumps you can get in during a certain period of time, the more you will learn.

In addition, most DZs like all students using the same equipment (theirs) while training for various reasons (radio in helmet, etc).

If you can afford it, I would recommend at least eye wear because you wear contacts (I do, too). Switching to my own goggles when I was student helped me tremendously in comfort for my eyes.

You can spare $15-20, right? ;)

"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

If you can afford it, I would recommend at least eye wear because you wear contacts (I do, too). Switching to my own goggles when I was student helped me tremendously in comfort for my eyes.

You can spare $15-20, right? ;)

Well I'll have to spend a few extra hours at the old ladies home stripping for quarters....but yeah $15-$20 isn't much.

But thank you very much for the advice! I was more worried about loosing a contact than crashing on my first jump......go figure!

If you're planning on getting tinted eyewear be sure to ask at the DZ first before you do. The thought there is that the instructors want to be able to make eye contact with you and if your eyewear is tined or mirrored they can't tell if you're looking at them.

I had just gotten Lasik done before I started AFF and the bright sun still bothered me so I talked to the DZ and they helped me pick out a pair of lightly tinted goggles.