Boeris

Dissappointing deal here!!! :-(

So, after searching the classifieds for what seemed like months I finally found a main that I felt would fit my needs. I replied to the seller immediately after he posted the for sale ad. He basically said it was mine. I asked to have it shipped that day and I would pay any extra, if required, to get it to me by the weekend. Seller replies that they needed it for the weekend. Ok, so right there I got pretty pissed because who posts an ad then says, 'No you'll get it when I'm ready to send it to you'???? Anyway, I grinned and beared it, even though I spent a shitload on rental gear this weekend by not having a main (beside the point). Now, we had a verbal agreement (written if you count emails) that he'd send it out today and make sure that it got to me before the 4/10/09. So, I emailed the seller this morning asking if we were good to go and reinforcing the fact that I would pay any extra shipping costs to get it here before MY TRIP this weekend! I get a reply saying "Due to unforeseen circumstances, the canopy is no longer for sale"!!!! Seriously, WTF is that bro? I am kind of pissed right now.
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

No, I'd be raising quite a bit more hell if that was the case. The plan was to get it inspected by a master rigger at my home DZ, once it checked out I'd make payment before it was relwased to me. The whole point of my pissyness was, I sold my old main and had been looking for a good transition canopy a while. Once I found this the weather clear up finally and with cash in hand wanted something soon. I found a few other deals recently that I would have totally jumped on if I hadn't have already locked in the afore mentioned main from said seller or A-hole which ever you prefer. :-)
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

Oh BTW, seller also listed this as OBO but was not willing to come down in price. I don't see how you can list an ad as OBO, then bitch when I offer 100 less, saying that the canopy is really worth 100 more than the OBO asking price??????
www.theflystyle.com

Ad is still listed here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=75809;d=1

Maybe an admin should delete it...you know, since it's apparenlty no longer available.
www.theflystyle.com

Ok, yeah I suppose...But I could have had a different canopy (that was able to be at my dropzone in time) to jump all weekend instead of spending over 100 on rental gear...So, I guess it depends on how you look at it.
That being said, I do see your point.
www.theflystyle.com

Have you considered getting a demo canopy from PD (or whoever) for a few weeks so you have something to jump? It cost $50 which includes shipping both ways and you get to keep it for at least 2 weeks (they are normally nice about extending that a week or so if you call and ask nicely, or experience bad weather)

Its not a total solution but you can get a real nice main to try out while you look, cheaper than rental gear.

Bummer bout the other main, but there is always another good deal around the corner.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Yeah, I spotted that, it's international. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd end up paying several hundred more than asking price said and done...
www.theflystyle.com

Common man, seriously? You didn't get ripped off, you just didn't get the deal you wanted. Pilots are not that expensive new, just buy one.

Yes seriously. Don't be a dick. There's some of us who might think nearly $2000 is NOT inexpensive.
www.theflystyle.com

There's some of us who might think nearly $2000 is NOT inexpensive.

While I appreciate the desire to get a deal and/or let someone else break in the canopy for easier packing, if you pay $2000 for a new Pilot, you're not doing it right. Going through any reputable dealer, you shouldn't pay full retail price.

As for the deal, yeah, it sucks, but as others have pointed out you weren't out any cash. It's possible that the seller was counting on a deal to come through for him (the ad does say that he's downsizing) and that didn't work out. Or any number of other things. Yes, he should be responsible and take it down, but I'm willing to bet there's quite a few items still listed that are no longer for sale for various reasons. Many people don't bother to take their ads down when the items sell ... which makes it annoying for the buyers, but it is what it is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I bought my Pilot brand new from Square One and was extremely satisfied. Customer service is great and they don't delay on shipping.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Sucks, but it happens. You know that. At least you didn't lose anymore than your rental expenses.

Here's another hint that may help. Don't limit yourself to looking in the "main canopies" section of the classifieds. Look also in "complete systems". Many times people are willing to part out their rigs, particularly mains. (Systems are easier to sell with container and reserve and/or AAD but the main doesn't really help ease of sale or value)

If I was a seller and somebody offered me a reasonable price for the main out of my complete system, I'd do it in a heartbeat. So check out the complete systems. There are a few with Pilot 168s.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Pilots are a lot less than other canopies as it is, and you should be able to get it 15% off msrp as well, means allot less than $2000.
I don't get why you are posting, do you want people feel sorry for you and tell you its going to be ok? There is obviously nothing we can do to help you. What if the seller accidentally dropped the canopy in a fire? Do you still want it? People get ripped off here all the time for $1000s, you are lucky it only cost you $100 in rental fees, which you CHOSE to pay.

Oh BTW, seller also listed this as OBO but was not willing to come down in price. I don't see how you can list an ad as OBO, then bitch when I offer 100 less, saying that the canopy is really worth 100 more than the OBO asking price??????

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone offers $1 MORE, then THAT is the Best Offer.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

I don't get why you are posting, do you want people feel sorry for you and tell you its going to be ok? There is obviously nothing we can do to help you.

Ah, come on. He's just frustrated and venting a little bit. He's got a decent attitude about it. Check out his reply to Councilman24's post.

Besides, he has got some help out of it. We've pointed him in some other directions and offered alternatives. You made some very good points too.

It's ok to vent a little sometimes. I'd have been a little irked myself. But it happens.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Thanks guys!
He actually told me he had a new main already ordered. I'm sure it just went to someone else.
I may have spoke a little strong, but it was just frustrating knowing this large purchase had been locked in for a week, while I turned down other options that would have given me a main by now, for him to back out on the shipping date.
Oh well...I know there's plenty out there.

I did contact Icarus about a demo Safire 169 several weeks ago and they never got back to me. I fill out the demo form and everything...no reply and it did not show up at the address I specified on date requested.
www.theflystyle.com

There's some of us who might think nearly $2000 is NOT inexpensive.

Buy one from bigway, he's selling them new for $1375 shipped, here is the ad.

He's a good guy, really easy to deal with, and offers good service.

I did contact Icarus about a demo Safire 169 several weeks ago and they never got back to me.

Go through the guys at Para-Concepts, I had no trouble at all getting a demo through them. They're an Icarus service center and dealer, and good folks.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

..... Seller replies that they needed it for the weekend. ...I get a reply saying "Due to unforeseen circumstances, the canopy is no longer for sale"!!!! Seriously, WTF is that bro? I am really fucking pissed right now.

So what happens when you learn the canopy was cutaway last weekend and ended up in the power lines or alligator farm????

Or it could be he had a local buyer and that is much easier than one you have to ship to.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker