Bendegreat

Graduate Eligibility at Collegiate Nationals -- Letter to USPA

The USPA just recently restricted graduate students from competing in the USPA Collegiate Nationals after 47 years of allowing ALL full-time students who otherwise meet the requirements. This is a huge detriment to the future of the sport of skydiving!

Feel free to copy this letter to send to the USPA, or please sign the petition ( http://www.petitiononline.com/USPAGRAD/petition.html ) if you feel the same way about this unexpected and unnecessary change!

To: The United States Parachute Association,

Sir or Ma’am, I am writing to express both my concern and dissatisfaction with a recent modification to the 2009 Skydiver’s Competition Manual, specifically in regard to the USPA Collegiate National Skydiving Competition. For many years, full-time students from across the United States have been competing in this competition which gives these individuals a unique opportunity to be active and competitive participants in the sport of skydiving. In fact, this competition gives many of these students their only opportunity to compete in this sport.

Upon reviewing the recent changes to the Competition Manual, I became aware that for the first time, full-time graduate students are now barred from entering in this competition. This change came as a shock to not only myself, but also many of my fellow collegiate skydivers. The competition manual outlines specific guidelines for number of credit hours, maximum jump numbers, maximum age, and maximum time in the sport to be eligible to compete in this competition. For many years, graduate students who met those other requirements have been active in this competition, and have been tremendous contributors to the spirit of competition and the skydiving community as a whole.

By specifically banning graduate students who otherwise satisfy the other requirements of this competition, the spirit of this incredible opportunity has been destroyed. It has shifted the focus of this event away from friendly competition between fellow full-time students to an elitist club which now unnecessarily bans many dedicated skydivers from their only opportunity to compete in a National Skydiving Championship. The specific status of a student, whether graduate or undergraduate, is an irrelevant criterion upon which to discriminate against full-time college students. If this rule is maintained, the spirit and success of the USPA Collegiate National Competition will be destroyed for all future competitors and participants of the sport of skydiving.

As a result of the tremendously high cost of skydiving training, graduate school is often the first opportunity that many rising jumpers will have to allocate the appropriate funding and reach a skill level that is worthy of attending this event. Although some undergraduate students are fortunate enough to have full or partial sponsorship through their institution, the vast majority of college students do not have this outside financial support and can only afford the time and funding to train slowly over the course of several years. Many graduate students, both past and present, who compete at the USPA Collegiate Nationals are those who were unable to do so as undergraduates. It is unnecessary and unfair to ban these young skydivers who will undoubtedly be the future of the sport of skydiving.

I hope you will consider the detrimental effect that this change has on not only the Collegiate Skydiving Competition, but also the future of this sport as a whole. Thank you for your time in the re-consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Worrall
C-35819

Well, you know Ben... You did so well at the last Collegiates you attended with a serious team, they are trying to make sure you can't compete again.... Just kidding.

In all seriousness, the Regional Director for our region, who is the Coach of the US Air Force Academy, is the Chair of the competition committee.

Here is his info, copied and pasted from the public USPA website. I think he might be a great place to start. From the very positive comments the USAFA staff members gave your team on competition day, I would hope they would allow you and other graduate students to continue with your passion.

If they claim that graduate students have advantages that would give them an unfair edge, then I would argue back that only self-financed competitors be allowed to compete under a certain age and get rid of the entire student issue as anyone of college age has certain limited finances, and after all this is not about being a student but being a younger competitor.

Bill Wenger

USPA Member # 1157, D-3774
Mountain (MT) Regional Director
[email protected]; [email protected]

545 Struthers Loop
Colorado Springs, CO 80921
(719) 333-2356 (w); (719) 488-8250 (h); 200-8947 (c) (719) 200-8250 (fax)
Committees: Executive (Member at Large), Competition (Chair), Regional Directors

If they claim that graduate students have advantages that would give them an unfair edge, then I would argue back that only self-financed competitors be allowed to compete under a certain age and get rid of the entire student issue as anyone of college age has certain limited finances, and after all this is not about being a student but being a younger competitor.

In other words dis-allow any academy teams from national competition!

I remember back in 80 & 81 when I went to the collegiate nationals, the Army team was made up of a bunch of professionally trained, government funded 'college students' that all had 1 jump less than the next class up from what they were there to compete in. :|

They may have placed better than the rest of us...but then again we didn't have to put our jammies on and go to bed when the party started every night! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Only if they start to claim that some students have an unfair advantage if they are a Grad student as there are other advantages that need to be taken into consideration.

Only if they start to claim that some students have an unfair advantage if they are a Grad student as there are other advantages that need to be taken into consideration.

I certainly hope they (academy teams) would NEVER have cause to claim others have an 'unfair advantage' regarding collegiate competition against the very civilians that in addition to self-financing a team on a college budget, also pay taxes for the military schools... their training, their gear, their lift tickets, their travel, their tunnel time....etc. ;)

Wonder what brought this whole issue up anyway...did some grad student actually win a medal and keep the academy teams from their usual sweep of the competition? :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

this makes no sense. a high ranking uspa official said:

"The board took steps to clarify the rule and, as you can see, only undergraduate students can participate."

Why did it take 47 years for them to realize they need clarification??
http://www.turboskydiving.com

this makes no sense. a high ranking uspa official said:

"The board took steps to clarify the rule and, as you can see, only undergraduate students can participate."

Why did it take 47 years for them to realize they need clarification??

Who said that to you?

There are only 3 positions that can speak on behalf of USPA: the ED, Prez and IPC delegate (only during & about FAI comps).

When was this said to you? like in the past couple of days?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Just a quick question: where can I find the published minutes for USPA BOD meetings? Our organization is public, every USPA member should be privy to said minutes.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."