bmoore21184

Ready to Return?

Its been 6 months since i broke my femur, and 12 days since I had the screws taken out of my knee from the femur rod. For those of you that have been hurt, what made you think you were physically ready to return? My knee is still not nearly as strong as it was before, but have found i can land jumps from around 6 feet solid (gymnast, easy access to that kind of stuff). I still favor the 'damaged' leg, any tips on stopping that? Thanks and I am hoping I am ready to go this weekend.

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'

all I got to say is WOW.....

6 months from a femur..?

first of all, what did your DR. say?

I tib/fib'd - and like a moron, decided to let it heal naturally..... without pins/screws.... took a year before I felt ready to jump again. If you can withstand a 6'shock then you are probably ready to skydive again.

if you are at all worried about your landing, then PLF it.....nothing wrong with doing it! Allow your stronger leg to take more of the shock.
time will allow you to quit favoring it as you become accustomed to it doing its job without failure.... its a lack of confidence (and rightly so) that is causing you to hesitate using it to its fullest....
have fun;
welcome back;
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

The doc said I could do anything to my tolerance. I can run (can't sprint without a limp) but its not painless. I'll practice some PLFs before going up again for sure and wont be afraid to use it. I need to get some dirt on my new jumpsuit anyways. ;)

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'

I had my tib broken. My karate master has told me it would take 6 month from removal of plaster to get 95% healed.

He has right. I had jumps in 2 month after removal. I`ve got a tib/fib screw removed. I have 4 screws and a steel plate left. I donno is it a reminder or a reinforcement ;).

Ride a bike to build up those muscles and increase circulation.

The biggest thing is do you feel ready? If a previous injury causes you any hesitation or fear, you could just hurt something else worse.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary