Tomcat933

Risk

Really? I have 1200 jumps and I still try to stay as aware and safety oriented as possible on every jump. Don't you?

I suspect that Sangi's point was that our attitude toward what is "safe" or at least a reasonable level of risk will change over time, not that we all develop a death wish. For example, my first canopy was a PD 9-cell 210. I was loading that at about 0.95:1. When I first started, I never used front risers as part of landing because diving at the ground and increasing my speed during landing was a more advanced and riskier move. I also said that I had no interest in swooping or high performance landings. As I gained skill and experience I started to experiment with double fronts. Today, I jump a Sabre2 150 loaded at about 1.36:1. I often do 90 or 180 front risers turns to land and find such landings fun. I'm no swoop jock just yet, nor is it on my immediate list of goals in the sport, but at the same time, I can see myself transitioning to a Katana at some point, downsizing further and perhaps one day even flying a cross-braced canopy.

Really? I have 1200 jumps and I still try to stay as aware and safety oriented as possible on every jump. Don't you?

I suspect that Sangi's point was that our attitude toward what is "safe" or at least a reasonable level of risk will change over time, not that we all develop a death wish. For example, my first canopy was a PD 9-cell 210. I was loading that at about 0.95:1. When I first started, I never used front risers as part of landing because diving at the ground and increasing my speed during landing was a more advanced and riskier move. I also said that I had no interest in swooping or high performance landings. As I gained skill and experience I started to experiment with double fronts. Today, I jump a Sabre2 150 loaded at about 1.36:1. I often do 90 or 180 front risers turns to land and find such landings fun. I'm no swoop jock just yet, nor is it on my immediate list of goals in the sport, but at the same time, I can see myself transitioning to a Katana at some point, downsizing further and perhaps one day even flying a cross-braced canopy.

Couldn't have replied better myself.
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Has anyone every seen a friend go in or get critically injured and thought "man, they didn't do anything wrong"?

I believe most of us that have been active jumpers a decade or few, have lost friends... I think if you stick around long enough you will too.

It's the life we've chosen, sometimes it's hard but still, it's better than living in a cozy safe box.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Has anyone every seen a friend go in or get critically injured and thought "man, they didn't do anything wrong"?

Nope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They always make the big boo-boo !!!!!!!!!!!! ( or someone hits them,, that's just one of those things, to me. Like car crashes can be)

Do some research, maybe, find where someone did everything great, and his reserve JUST DIDNT OPEN !!!! ( It is pretty rare , I didnt say zero. )

All activities have risk associated with them. Some more than others, and there are things we can do to help mitigate that risk, and there are things that are simply not within our control. So no matter how many controls you follow, there is always going to be some level of risk.

Examples:
My BFF used birth control and got pregnant
My good jumping friend got rear-ended by a drunk driver going 90 mph within minutes of leaving the DZ
I stepped in a gopher hole on landing during a night jump and sprained my ankle and fractured my foot.

What's the message here? Shit happens. So shut up and jump or go home! :P

Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406