jf951

tracking gear (not wingsuits)

so i know i've got a ways to go but im definitely interested in wingsuits. i figure its probably not the smartest thing to go straight into a wingsuit on your 201st jump,
so my question is about tracking gear. like the pants and jacket made my phoenix. im not looking to get into something way over my head but about when would you guys recomend to start jumping with that type of equipment.
Jump more, Bitch less.

more or less those tracking pants/jacket are for BASE, i have a friend with them, you can use them for skydiving but you might as well buy a beginner wingsuit or a RW booty suit. on your 201st jump when you get a wingsuit instructor, they will teach you what you need to know, i dont suggest buying a tracking suit just yet.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

yeah i kinda figured they were for base just by looking at alot of pics featuring them but i was wondering if getting that babystep in forward thrust would help you prepare for the jump to even small wings.

thanx for the tip. ill keep that inmind. does a RW suit with bootys give you a noticeable amount more of drive? than just a regular jumpsuit?
Jump more, Bitch less.

I heart tracking.

On that note, grab yourself a jumpsuit with booties and learn how to master those puppies to get you tracking fast and efficient. There is a noticeable difference, and even with my jump numbers I have been able to keep up on every tracking dive ive been on.(only 6 but still! lol) ;)

-Evo

Zoo Crew

Did you notice we have a whole wingsuit forum here..?

Yes you can go straight to a (beginner) wingsuit when you're ready to go wingsuit. No a tracksuit won't help you much, save your money for jumps. Unless you're wanting to BASE later on, forget the tracksuit. Jump on your belly with other people, take docks, learn how to dive and stop to a formation and track like hell at the end of every jump, go try some sitflying, work on your landing accuracy every jump. Most importantly is to GO JUMP, a lot, get those 200 jumps in in 1.5 years max then you're current so you got a better change of a wingsuit instructor giving you the go-ahead.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

+1 to what everyone else is saying here.

A tracking suit can definitely be used for skydiving...but most people I see taking them skydiving are trying to get the feel for them before taking them to BASE. But I wouldn't get one for now (even if you're planning on BASE) because of this: as you spend more time in the sport, you'll come to realize that whether we're talking wingsuits, tracking suits, or anything, it's never the suit - it's the pilot that matters.

Here's what I'd recommend:

- Grab a bootie suit to start with and learn to track in it. The booties will give you INCREDIBLE forward drive, and you can also use the suit to get better on your belly (which is never a bad thing, even if you intend to get into freeflying. The best body pilots can fly on all axes).

- Start tracking with other people. Preferably, the experienced belly-flying crowd. A lot of people get very good at dive-tracking (freeflyers in particular, given their orientation), which initially gives them more forward speed and makes them feel like they're getting further distance. Meanwhile, someone with a good flat-track body position will often travel the same distance, but wind up higher.

(I was on a 75-way this weekend, and although I'm always the high tracker when doing smaller ways, I found some of the older guys were kicking my ass at breakoff. By adjusting my body position to fly relative to them, I flattened my track considerably without losing forward speed).

The point is, if you get a tracking suit, it'll slow your fall rate down, sure. But if you learn how to really track before you get a tracking suit, you'll be able to get more out of the suit.

Same goes for wingsuiting, to some extent (although different WS disciplines require different skills, so tracking isn't exactly analogous to it). It's almost always the pilot rather than the suit.

As Saskia pointed out, just keep jumping and stay as current as possible. When you've got the numbers to fly wingsuits, currency will help you more than anything.
Signatures are the new black.

Most importantly is to GO JUMP, a lot, get those 200 jumps in in 1.5 years max then you're current so you got a better change of a wingsuit instructor giving you the go-ahead.

And since the OP jumps at Lodi, he has access to a whole ton of top wingsuit talent that he can talk to in person about his goals.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke