sergeantpowers

Insurance

I just got my open enrollment papers for my insurance for 2010 thru my work, and I realized that I'm not signed up for the Aflac off the job accident coverage they offer for like $8 a paycheck. That's really not a bad deal, and now that I'm skydiving I think it's probably something I shouldn't be without. I haven't really looked into it, and I might have to go to an enrollment meeting anyway before I can sign up for it, but do insurance companies typically ask you if you do crazy things (for instance, hurl yourself out of airplanes ;)), before they'll give you coverage? Because this seems like a policy that I really need, and I'd hate to not be able to get it because of this skydiving habit.

Insurance offered through work very often doesn't care -- it's offered to everyone. Go to the meeting, ask questions, be honest (but don't volunteer anything you don't need to).

It's way better to have insurance.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Aflac's Accident Indemnity Advantage just got revised this year, so it is back to covering skydiving. Last year it didn't, and this year it does, I'd highly recommend it.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

... and I realized that I'm not signed up for the Aflac off the job accident coverage...

Ask them what the hell they are thinking! They propose to cover you only while you are are work? What about automobile accidents, a very likely cause of injury?

Yeah, the through work policies don't seem to mind a skydiving habit. I have health, life, short term disability and long term disability all through work. The disability insurance is cheap(1 jump ticket a month?) and I think it's a great insurance for skydivers to have.

It's pretty easy to get taken out for months at a time and if you get a permanent disability, long term disability will even re-train you for a career that works with your injury.

READ THE POLICY!!! There is usually a section labelled "Excluded activites"

Go to the enrollment meeting and ask these questions. That's what the insurance rep gets paid for. Just make sure any answer you get is written into the policy.

"Ok, you say I'll still get coverage if I'm injured running with the bulls in Pamplona. Can you please show me where it gives the exclusions so I can see that it doesn't exclude that?"

You will still be able to get the policy, even if skydiving is an excluded activity (not anymore with AFLAC), it's just that the duck won't come to your house to pay your bills (bad joke in reference to stupid commercial) if you are injured "participating in an excluded activity".

And remember that there is a big difference between health insurance (pays medical bills directly to the doctor/hospital) and disability insurance (pays a set amount directly to you to spend on whatever you want).

A lot of disability insurance policies have exclusions for "extreme" sports activities. Skydiving, racing, mountaineering and "adventure travel" are commonly excluded. AFLAC recently changed, but until the change excluded payment for disability caused by (among other things) skydiving.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo