tsalnukt

Safety Day at DZ

Just wondering how other DZ's conduct their safety day activities. Is it lecture style or 'circuit' style? What topics are covered? are refreshers covered? barbecues? parties? Just looking for some new and exciting ideas so as to avoid a whole bunch of people barely engaged in a large all day lecture. thanks.

tsalnukt

Just wondering how other DZ's conduct their safety day activities. Is it lecture style or 'circuit' style? What topics are covered? are refreshers covered? barbecues? parties? Just looking for some new and exciting ideas so as to avoid a whole bunch of people barely engaged in a large all day lecture. thanks.

Some do, some don't and the activities vary widely.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

If it's an all day event, one successful model I've seen is to have different "stations" that people rotate to throughout the day. Some can be interactive like having several rigs intentionally mis-rigged with things that should be found in a thorough gear check, one might be putting people in a hanging harness, other stations might be more of a lecture type format. People could have a card that they'd get marked at each station; anyone who gets all the stations completed gets entered in an end of day raffle.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

After the jumping was done we had one of our instructors go over gear and the went over fatality reports. Good number of people stayed with a party following. seem to work better than trying to keep skydivers from jumping on a sunny 80 degree day :P living in Florida has it's perks. Safety day for our group is every day. We work with rookies so stressing gear checks and proper tracking ect is talked about every jump

to see what our group does every day see www.clubjumpin.com

;)

Skydive New England is purportedly having their SAFETY DAY

April 5 Sat 2014.

They usually have a presentation style with some very colorful and wonderful people presenting short talks and sometimes with handouts to explain some of the more complicated issues. Last year for example one person took the time to compare and contrast all of the features of the various AAD's on the market in a concise tabular format that was simple to use and view the differences to help explain some of the inconsistencies in the various manufacturers manuals. And they did this all at their own time and expense. Generally they start with stuff about skydivers, then move on to the dz, and finally a talk from a pilot about various topics that they mix up from year to year.

The food was great!!! Free, plentiful, tasty, and warm. All prepared with love from the many volunteers that participated and gave so freely of their time!!!

This safety day experience was simply the best one reported to me from my peeps, no other DZ came even close to the preparedness and thoroughness that these people have shown again and again!!!!

C
Now,... if they could do something about the weather?????
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

You are correct ChrisD on the SNE dates... I will be out of town so trying to hook up with Sacramento for safety day but... anyone who can should drop into SNE. I don't know when Pepperill does theirs, that may also be an option and although I have no experience there I've heard they also have some great people.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

I don't know when Pepperill does theirs, that may also be an option and although I have no experience there I've heard they also have some great people.

If you want to make it there, I think it's the week after:
Skydive Pepperell is holding Safety Day on Saturday April 19th at the VFW Hall in Pepperell (55 Leighton St).
8:30a-9:00a - coffee and socializing
9:00a-2:00p - presentations

I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.