jimmyh

The KEY to a "successful" DZ?

Don't have alot of jumps, and havn't been to a ton of Dz's(7 or 8 I think), but I can tell you what I have seen and would like to see, since I am still pretty new.

-Jump plane that is maintained well, and gets to 13K in a hurry
-Mixing the students, tandems, sport jumpers all together. I used to enjoy just asking tandems you know "Howd the jump go?" "did you have fun"? Stuff like that, good for interaction I guess, Ive been to a couple Dz's where you only see students and tandems once on the plane(might be done on purpose, but what can ya do)
-Music! In the packing area, outside, everywhere some good music! Adds such an awesome element.
-Speaking of packing area, indoor packing is always a plus, if not, at least a large padded area, with plenty of weights on hand and free rubber bands.
-Lastly, Start Skydiving is on to something with their completely automated manifest system, never have to talk to the manifest counter ever again.

Dislikes
-No Tv's...gotta have a few tv's somewhere accessible to watch video from the previous jump on the fly
-Landing pattern that takes divers over the runway/ no landing pattern enforcement on the Dz's staff part
-Rude staff/manifest people...nothing can ruin a high about an upcoming jump faster than the person at the counter being rude.
-No food for miles?!? Ahh skydivers worst nightmare right? Maybe its just me, but I love some grub.
-Absent DZO, meaning, you never see the man or woman in charge

I could probably go on, and those things may seem insignificant, but a couple of those things have sold me on a DZ, where others have pushed me away.

Blue Skies :)

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Seriously, I want to hear everybody's opinion.

BTW: I spelled sucessfull right, and if you can't read, I don't care about your opinion?

1) Little going on that drives jumpers to other DZs. Skydiving is a social sport, and it's not much fun when you don't have people to jump with who are proficient in your chosen disciplines whatever they may be. Fewer rules help here.

2) Location. Good weather, proximity to where people live and work (It's great to have a DZ you can get to in 15 minutes to make a few loads after work).

3) Turbine aircraft

4) Landing area close to packing. It's nice to make a lot of loads and you aren't going to when there's a long shuttle ride back to the airport.

Bonus points for free load-organizing, free-beer, etc.

98% of skydiving happens on the ground, but nothing happens til the jump ticket is sold.

Marketing is the key to sales. The product you are selling is "fun".

Sell fun for a profit. Do it so well that people will bring their friends to see what all the fun is about.