NealFitz

first mal

wayhay i have joined the club- i had my first mal today on jump 161. heres how it went.

was doing a 4 way with the crank formation as a launch. i was positioned down low in front of the tail. Exit was a bit iffy there was a bit of contact. otherwise a nice jump thoroughly enjoyed it. tracked at 4500 as was preplanned and deployed at 3. upon deployment my main instantly disconnected and i felt it and knew straight away it wasnt there. had a look down and my cutaway pad was gone, and i then pulled silver. in the saddle around 1300ish. landed on the DZ and spent half the day in muddy fields looking for the freebag.[:/] after a discussion with the CCI we came to the conclusion that between some point on exit and within the funnel, someone caught the cutaway pad without realsiing it. I didnt even notice and neither did the either guys- only got the surprise at deployment. it was an experience i have to admit and was a little confuddled as to why at had happened but had full faith in my reserve which opened beautifully. landed on the DZ and the main and freebag landed closeby albeit the freebag was very hard to find. borrowed some kit and continued jumping. thought i would share as its the first time i have ever witnessed this kind of malfunction even in videos.
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

No RSL then? BTW...congrats on recognizing the problem and reacting. Back in the day before rigs were standardized this was a common occurance when switching from a ripcord deployed main to a hand deploy. In the heat of the moment the student would revert back to pulling the main ripcord. Unfortunately the cutaway handle was where the ripcord used to be. Upon realizing their mistake they would hand deploy the main only to have it immediately seperate. Many times they spent the rest of their lives trying to process what had happened.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

its one of those things where you instincts tell ya soemthing is wrong. after jumping so many times you get the feel of what its supposed to be like and i didnt even have to look to know it was gone. I dont have an RSL either. so i have had a mal but havent had the pleasure of using my cutaway yet LOL
Dudeist Skydiver #170

hahaha i had seen the scott lutz vid ages ago but he pulled his cutaway instead of his PC. i meant that i had never seen it where the cutaway had got dislodged though i was informed by an instructor here in the UK that it has happened a couple of times during 8way jumps
Dudeist Skydiver #170

so i have had a mal but havent had the pleasure of using my cutaway yet LOL

You technically didn't really have a malfunction.... If somebody had pulled the cutaway handle then everything happened like it was supposed to...

And yeah you have no cutaways but one reserve ride :)