tnscorcoran

Pilot Chute in tow mal - poor gear maintenance

I had a pilot in chute in tow last week as a result of the ring inside main bag falling off (the ring that is connected to the pilot chute bridle). It's what causes the pilot to stay inflated during deployment, so when I threw it out, the PC collapsed immediately. Subsequent reserve opening and ride (1st :)The point of this post is it happened as a result of MY FAILURE TO MAINTAIN MY GEAR. And to a lesser extent the failure of 'experts' to notice it either. I had a reserve repack the previous week, and I thought a reserve repack involved the rigger checking the gear. The rig was purchased brand new 6 months ago from a reputable equipment sales shop in the US.
Even with new gear, it can't be assumed it is rigged/maintained properly.

>I had a reserve repack the previous week, and I thought a reserve
>repack involved the rigger checking the gear.

A good rigger, in general, will inspect the harness/container/reserve system for wear/damage, and may also do a main inspection (usually for additional $$.) Poor riggers may not even do the harness/container/reserve inspection. Which is a good reason to do it yourself every once in a while.

>I had a reserve repack the previous week, and I thought a reserve
>repack involved the rigger checking the gear.

A good rigger, in general, will inspect the harness/container/reserve system for wear/damage, and may also do a main inspection (usually for additional $$.) Poor riggers may not even do the harness/container/reserve inspection. Which is a good reason to do it yourself every once in a while.

If I pack your reserve it will cost you $50.00. That includes an inspection of everything TSO'd on the rig. If you want me to pack the main that is also $50.00. That is because I am held to the same standard when packing a main as I am packing a reserve.

Jumpers need to become more pro-active in maintaining and understanding their gear. Packing for yourself at least once a week is a good place to start.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The rig was purchased brand new 6 months ago from a reputable equipment sales shop in the US.
Even with new gear, it can't be assumed it is rigged/maintained properly.

Anyone else think a brand new rig with 150 jumps having ANYTHING wear out is a little strange?

Edited to add: Or was this a manufacturing defect?

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Only 70 jumps on the rig, bought it when I had 80 jumps.

If any part of a rig is wearing out when it's only got 70 jumps is EXCEEDINGLY strange.

Make sure the rig gets a good inspection by a good rigger. If your rigger doesn't give you a good explanation then send it into the manufacturer for inspection.

Skydiving gear generally doesn't have official waranty's, but manufacturers are usually very good at taking care of people after a sale - even if you're not the original purchaser.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>If any part of a rig is wearing out when it's only got 70 jumps is EXCEEDINGLY strange.

Depends on its use. You'll see wear on brake lines within 20 jumps if the jumper isn't careful with velcro toggles; you can see canopy damage almost immediately if a Rapide link is used on the bridle attach ring and fabric isn't cleared during packing. Loose links - pulling the pullup cord out rapidly - lots of things will wear gear fast. I've had new closing loops break within 20 jumps when using certain packers.

The rapide/french link came unscrewed?

-Karen

Precisely. The rigger says it was missing during packing as the bag never opened during deployment and when he opened it, it wasn't there. It couldn't have slipped through the grommet as it's too big even when unscrewed.

Who hooked up the pilot chute to the main canopy?

This doesn't sound at all like gear that wore out quickly, but rather improper assembly.

-Karen

It was the rigger who assembled the rig for the first time. I don't want to name names and go on a blame offensive. I just want to warn jumpers that their gear may not be rigged properly even if it's newly bought from a reputable place.