Andrewbrinkhaus

Discussion - iFly or Perris?

I'm wanting to do some tunnel time pre-AFF, and wanting to get the best start possible. iFly Hollywood is a 15 minute drive, the Perris tunnel is about 1 1/2 hours. Perris is on average about 10% cheaper than iFly, but more important to me than either of these things is the actual coaching and advice I'll receive at each.

Do any of you guys/gals think one would provide a more worthwhile experience in prep for AFF than the other? I realize both locations have excellent instructors, iFly just seems a little more corporate "get em in, get em out" in comparison though I could be wrong.

Also, what is a good average amount of time to schedule in the tunnel at a time? Keep in mind I'm saving for AFF at this point but I want to get enough out of it to see improvement and know I am retaining some muscle memory.

Thanks.
Do not pursue happiness. Create it.

ifly and 15 minutes. i think the entry level coaching your going to get is going to be close to equal at both. your also going to be driving to perris alot when u start aff, trust me, use the close option for now :) . just tell the instructors that u are there to train for AFF and not just a joy ride. your gonna be tired after 15 minutes.. have fun and see you around the DZ.

dont let life pass you by

at your point in your career both are excellent choices, they will both teach you belly skills just fine, just let them know you are going to the tunnel to get you ready for AFF, they will treat you differently. both tunnel's coaches are awesome people. you are right about iFly being a little more corporate, IBA (international bodyflight association) while perris follows the same progression they are not apart of it, thats why they are cheaper for the most part. i would say if you are at the DZ go to perris and if you are at home go to iFly...you wont be disapointed, 10-15min of flying before you go do AFF and you will be solid for it.
IHYD

HA- busted. i used to work there. i moved to san diego recently and i am jumping at elsi and perris occasionally, but not working in skydiving right now. hope u get to the tunnel and to the sky soon. welcome to the addiction
dont let life pass you by

I'm currently going through aff at Perris and I'd recommend waiting til after your FJC to get tunnel time. All the training you'll do in your FJC will help you alot for flying in the tunnel after. Also keep in mind that if you do your FJC at Perris it will include 2-minutes in the tunnel.

They also have a deal at the tunnel: $240 for 10-minutes of coached tunnel time and if you fail your next aff jump they'll pay for the repeat.

Have Fun!

Well originally I was going to do AFF at Elsinore but I've decided to do the "A license in a week" program at Spaceland, so I won't have time in between FJC and the following jumps to hit the tunnel, so I am trying to get as much time now so that I minimize the chances of a repeat during the week since time will be pretty tight.

Even though I haven't started AFF yet, I still feel like practicing in the tunnel with proper feedback, body positioning, practice pulls, etc. will be quite helpful...

Well originally I was going to do AFF at Elsinore but I've decided to do the "A license in a week" program at Spaceland, so I won't have time in between FJC and the following jumps to hit the tunnel, so I am trying to get as much time now so that I minimize the chances of a repeat during the week since time will be pretty tight.

Even though I haven't started AFF yet, I still feel like practicing in the tunnel with proper feedback, body positioning, practice pulls, etc. will be quite helpful...

You can get your A-license in a week anywhere...

The reality of that happening is more dependent on weather and if planes are flying. If you're a SoCal local, why not stay here to get your A-license in Perris? You can go in the tunnel in between jumps if you want or need to. And there's jump insurance: If you do tunnel time with a coach, you're gauranteed to pass the next AFF level, if not, the repeat jump is free. There's no 2 tandem pre-requisite so you don't have to waste money on another tandem. 2 minutes in tunnel is included with the FJC. Save money on travel. Perris flies loads every day. The weather in Perris is the best in the country. And you get free debrief video on each jump from Level 4-8. There's a cheap bunkhouse on the dz if you want to crash close. Oh, and a restaurant, bar, pool, big gear shop... Why go to Texas?
http://www.exitshot.com

Don't get me wrong guys, I originally wanted to do my AFF at Elsinore or Perris, it's close, I can spread out the jumps, etc. I know about the tunnel time included and most of the details. My issue is mainly cost. Even with the airfare to Houston, I am still saving $1,000 by doing the program at Spaceland... No matter what other stuff sounds enticing about doing it out here, I just can't justify having to spend that much extra money.

I know both (or at least Elsinore) offers discounts on packages paid in full up front, but I don't know how much, I haven't called...I'm sure it isn't $1000 off. Always open to ideas and suggestions however!